A&H

"Mine" "I got it"

My first ever caution was an U/10 player who, despite several warnings, shouted 'ooglie booglie!' every time he went in for a tackle!!
That put a smile on my face.

For me there are two considerations for this. Intent and if the target was actually distracted.
If there is intent but no distraction, first one gets a warning.
I have plenty of warnings which usually stops it but have card a couple of times for it in the past. The last time I had it there wasn't a single complain about the card because almost everyone had seen the warning.

The Referee Store
what do you reckon on this ? Attacker standing in an offside position (I mean, way offside !!). Midfielder knocks the ball over the defence and shouts "leave it !" to his striker. The striker stands still, puts his arms up signalling he isn't going anywhere near it, and leaves the ball. Another midfielder (in an onside position) races past the defenders, collects the ball, races towards goal and hammers home. What do you give, if anything ?

what do you reckon on this ? Attacker standing in an offside position (I mean, way offside !!). Midfielder knocks the ball over the defence and shouts "leave it !" to his striker. The striker stands still, puts his arms up signalling he isn't going anywhere near it, and leaves the ball. Another midfielder (in an onside position) races past the defenders, collects the ball, races towards goal and hammers home. What do you give, if anything ?
Goal... Next. (Credit: SF)

Goal... Next. (Credit: SF)

Agree, the leave it shout is a clear instruction to his own team mate. If a defender reacts to a shout from that distance and leaves the ball he needs dropping for the next game, even if it was from one of his own team mates. As a defender you listen to commands coming from behind you (usually keeper), not from those ahead of you.

Reactions: one
Why would you think this is a problem, especially given what's already discussed?

Why would you think this is a problem, especially given what's already discussed?

Just a situation that's been playing on my mind for a couple of seasons. It was a cup final actually, and I just played on, for the reason you guys gave above. You can imagine what the skipper of the defending team thought ! He stormed into our dressing room at half time...lol. I feel better with myself now, though ! :) cheers all

No. Although he stormed in, he actually calmed down when we sat him down and the 4th official took his Laws of the Game handbook out of his kitbag and showed him the law. I explained that I thought the shout was clearly aimed at the striker and not to distract his defenders. He apologised and we had quite a grown up discussion about it to be honest, until it was time to go out for the 2nd half.

I would be congratulating them on good team work.
Communication. Awareness. Knowledge of the laws.

Pet hate of mine and a guaranteed shout at least once a game 'He can't say that ref!' .

This explains why the team on Sunday was moaning at me, screaming 'you can't say 'Leave it!' I was completely baffled, and told them I hadn't said anything! It never even crossed my mind that they meant the other team. I imagine they wanted the game to be played in silence?

I also had this yesterday, when a player shouted “leave it” to a team mate, bringing up the shouts of “he can’t say that!” When I told them he can, both teams agreed that they never knew that. I’m expecting to be last week’s ref because I’m sure one of them will say it and get penalised! And I bet they don’t get cautioned either!
I’ve only once penalised for it in twenty two years, and sent the player off for dogso, but players probably appeal every other game.

I don’t know if players think we keep a list of banned phrases or something. Heaven knows where this started, because I remember this when I started playing, and that was a few years ago!

No idea where it started, random guess though, when you first start being coached or playing for a team, you would be encouraged or instructed to shout a name (ideally yours!) when going for the ball, maybe someone in Dinosaur Age tried to drum this into the kids by saying, "if you don't call a name the ref will penalise you", and it just grew from there?

No idea where it started, random guess though, when you first start being coached or playing for a team, you would be encouraged or instructed to shout a name (ideally yours!) when going for the ball, maybe someone in Dinosaur Age tried to drum this into the kids by saying, "if you don't call a name the ref will penalise you", and it just grew from there?
It was probably more so that your team names knew who was making the shout

Back