A&H

MLS Disallowed Goal from the PK

I don't think this is really IFAB trying to move the standards so much as IFAB trying to make the Law better match how it was actually being called. For a long time refs have ignored GK encroachment on missed shots (well, they oft ignored it on saves, too, but that's a separate issue) and ignored field player encroachment unless the player became involved with a play after the shot. With VAR, it becomes more important to codify so that the decisions that "soccer expects" match the Laws. IMHO, they just didn't do it as well as they needed to.
I don't think IFAB has been trying to match how referees apply it. It's more like a compromise and making it something referees can apply easier. As you say they ignored all keeper encroachments but for the main they also ignored all player encroachments regardless of impact unless it was vere very obvious.
Which document on the IFAB website is the above from out of interest?

I was trying to find something about a defender encroachment after the Wolves V Sevilla Europa League game. There was a widespread suggestion that the penalty should have been retaken as a Sevilla defender was in the area but under the above perhaps it shouldn't have because I don't think the defending player really prevented an attacker from getting to the ball.
It was the guideline given to leagues before it became part of the laws. It is no longer 'active' but it has information in it that has not been superseded by the LOTG .
You can prob find it in the resource section here but otherwise Google search "VAR handbook V8".

The Referee Store
PRO, the Professional Referee Organization in the US, has stated that the IFK was the proper result, apparently because the defender's encroachment was trifling (I say apparently because they did not reference the defender's encroachment).

Back