A&H

Morocco vs Spain

a.mahmoud

What do you think about the decisions of the referee ? and is the second goal scored by Aspas legit? because the corner have been executed from the opposite side ordered by the referee.

The Referee Store
It's a huge screw up from Irmatov who once again had a pretty poor game. Fortunately for him, his screw-ups have been overshadowed a bit by the chaos of the Iran-Portugal game.

Agreed. all defenders turn to the corner where referee is pointing. The referee wrongly allowing the corner to be taken quickly from the opposite side definitely contributes to Spain's goal and makes it an unfair one. Correct decision would have been to retake form the side pointed to but at the very least it should have been retaken from the opposite side giving the defenders a fair chance to defend it.

This is the kind of thing you would want you AR to help you with.

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
Agree with direct above. If we are excusing the ref for switching off for a second, then there is no excusing AR2 at all. Team work. I would be stunned to see that at grass roots, never mind a vital WC game. Home time

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
Is the corner kick signal that bad an error? Being pragmatic, I'd allow the attacking team to take it from either side when the ball goes over the bar

Is the corner kick signal that bad an error? Being pragmatic, I'd allow the attacking team to take it from either side when the ball goes over the bar

Its huge? The laws say the corner gets taken from the side where the ball leaves

Double so if ref signals

The middle of the bar ones where i dont point, am not fussed what side

Even if you have pointed to once side and all the defenders are facing gathered on that side and the attackers take it quickly from the other side?

Here the match would have to be replayed, it is called a "Technical Fault" by the referee in relation to the laws of the game. He gave the corner at one side of the field and it was taken from the opposite side. Will be interesting to see FIFA's response if Morocco make an appeal.

An appeal would be as pointless as a broken tip pencil.

How? There has been a factual error in law by the referee. Nothing that is up for interpretation. And nothing like, say Lampard "goal" v Germany, as that went unseen, or Maradona handball, as it also was unseen or seen and decreed as not an offence, this was a ball out of play at one side and a referee acknowedging this, and correctly instructing the restart to be at one corner of the pitch. Given he has issued this instruction, the next passage of play can now only begin at this, and from this point.

I would def appeal if i was Morocco......if nothing else to get in black and white why what happened is ok?

Its huge? The laws say the corner gets taken from the side where the ball leaves

Double so if ref signals

The middle of the bar ones where i dont point, am not fussed what side
Ah OK, didn't realize the ball went out of play on the left hand side of the goal

Its not even that it went out at that side..the ref, as the OP vid shows, is standing for 20 mins with arm out, pointing to that side.

Its the most obvious referee error of the WC so far for me, given its not down to anyones interpretation, or tolerance level, or game managment or so on , its actual factual.

How? There has been a factual error in law by the referee. Nothing that is up for interpretation. And nothing like, say Lampard "goal" v Germany, as that went unseen, or Maradona handball, as it also was unseen or seen and decreed as not an offence, this was a ball out of play at one side and a referee acknowedging this, and correctly instructing the restart to be at one corner of the pitch. Given he has issued this instruction, the next passage of play can now only begin at this, and from this point.

I would def appeal if i was Morocco......if nothing else to get in black and white why what happened is ok?
I doubt the Moroccan officials will be knowledgeable enough to launch an appeal. There are precedents for replays, but I'm not sure this error would be serious enough for FIFA to consider a rematch. Maybe the referee was distracted by all the chatter in his ear. It only takes a brief loss of situational awareness

I think it be different as well if they could have qualified ? So, they might just let it lie.
Cue more Sunday league players telling us now that corners can be taken at either side.......

Back