A&H

Most stupidest reason for a card???

SteveAustinRef

Level 7 Referee
Whats the most stupidest reason you have had to caution a player for?

I have had two this season;

The first was about 3 weeks ago when a player was arguing over the match balls, in my league the rule is the home team must provide a minimum of two balls for play. Now on this occasion I had been given 3 all fine and ready to play with.

We had a forest one end and a cannel the other end, to cut a long story short we lost 3 balls, and an away team player was mouthing off to as why we were using one of their balls to finish the game. Having explained to him that we had lost 3 balls and I really don't care who's ball we use as long as we finish the game he continued to moan and shout loudly about it. I stopped play and awarded an IDF for dissent and was writing his name down when he kept on and started offering some very choice words to which his team mate said will you shut the f up cause he will send you off. His reply was he's an fing joke anyway I don't care to which I changed the colour to red.

My second was today's match where a player kept shouting at me the length of the pitch to stop play cause his team mate needed to tie his boot lases up. Having already explained to him that I only stop play for fouls, injurys, goals etc.. he continued to shout the almost length of the pitch to which I had had enough by then and out comes the yellow card. But to his credit he did apologies for it and had no complaints about the caution.

The Referee Store
I don't know about the stupidest but the softest was for a player going off to get a drink. Tail end of last season (which was effectively May due to the winter's bad weather), while yellows are attacking I am aware that a yellow defender has gone off the field to the area of some supporters. The ball goes out for a corner to yellow and I look back to see that the yellow defender is still off and is now having a drink, kindly supplied to him by his gran! I blow the whistle go across to him and before I even say anything he says "I know ref. I should have asked. I know what's coming." I said, "Well thanks for that, its the easiest one I think I've ever given."
Doughnut!

Saturday. Blow for a foul tackle. Call the offender to me just for a chat, his team mate throws himself to the ground theatrically "ref, ref!"

I call him over and he says "you can't book me for simulation, there was nobody near me!" I tell him "it's for dissent by action"

He says "oh fair enough then" and gets back into position.

U16 School league game from a couple of years ago:

Away team is losing 4-1 with only a couple of minutes to go and the away goalkeeper is getting increasingly frustrated with the standard of defending from his team. I award a free kick to the home team about 20 yards from goal and the ball runs through to the keeper who throws is 40+ yards away in protest at the state of the defending. I approach his and take his name etc. and tell him he's being cautioned for delaying the restart of play, which he accepts, and it was the first caution of the game. As I'm marching the wall out 10 yards and doing all the usual stuff. I notice a couple of defenders shouting at their goalkeeper who is now behind the goals off the field of play packing his schoolbag and proceeding to put it on his back and proclaim the lack of footballing standard shown by his team before leaving the field of play and begin to walk home as he was "finished with this sh*t." Without batting an eyelid I flashed a second caution to him for leaving the field of play followed by a red as he made his way through the car park and beyond.

Even more bizarrely, there is now no goalkeeper's top for me to define the outfield players of the away team from the goalkeeper, so I explain the situation to the away team manager who stupidly volunteers his suit jacket to one of the remaining outfield players who now has to go in goal. To add to this the free kick is scored with a great curling effort, leaving the new "goalkeeper" to dive through the air in a commendable attempt to save it while wearing his teacher's jacket. Needless to say I'd got my fill of enjoyment out of that game and blew for full time almost immediately after. It was a rather ridiculous report I then had to write to the School Football Secretary.

Player scores goal and runs off the field to urinate against the nearest hedge --> caution for leaving the field without permission

How about (in)dissent exposure? No? You really have to want to see that one I guess... :D

You can't really get banned for terrible attempts at jokes can you?

White attacking player concedes free kick in opposition (defensive) half. Very little time remaining, and the free kick would give the opposition a good opportunity to pump the ball into the box.

I'm stood over the ball with both players, I'm not ready, defender is not ready. No problems. I say to the attacker: "don't kick it away, just keeping back and I'll tell you when you can stop".

I start to move away, and you can guess what he does...

He then says to me "What's that for ref?!". His skipper went ballistic.

Player scores goal and runs off the field to urinate against the nearest hedge --> caution for leaving the field without permission

Perhaps delaying the restart of play if it was a particularly long one. Or even USB for an inflammatory gesture if it was a burning pee, if that was the case then I'd advise the guy to go and get it checked out.

Had a couple of players asking for a yellow before. Never obliged when asked but most of them often gave me another reason to caution

Had a couple of players asking for a yellow before. Never obliged when asked but most of them often gave me another reason to caution
Same. It's some bizarre martyrdom thing going on. One player once thought it was going to cause me a gross inconvenience so he would get the last laugh, weird.

Similarly, I did some parcel delivery for a while, it's like when people are like "ooh lucky for you that I'm in". For me? It's your feckin' parcel! Self-absorbed.

Reactions: SM
Aside from any dissent caution you mean?

First ever match at supply league level as a referee - admittedly the reserve division but a step up nevertheless.

Over the space of 65-70 minutes pulled up the same player for four fouls. "The next time I have to give a free-kick against you, it's yellow"

A cynical lunge? A tactical trip? No, impeding an opponent. Just stood in the way of an attacker who had knocked the ball past him.

Two minutes later off he went after going straight through the back of the same player.

Or there was the Sunday league Captain who having already been cautioned took umbrage to me awarding a free-kick against a team mate. He ran from the edge of the penalty area to the middle of the half and picked the ball up shouting "This is the ball. He won this" I told him to put it down so we could carry on without delaying the restart.

"I'll show you delaying the restart." I tell you a discus thrower would have been proud of that effort. Up and over the barrier into the car park of the police station next door. Bright boy, can see why he was captain.

Back