A&H

Moved to Bristol

YorkieRef

Moved down to Bristol about a month ago ready to start work in September, quick question, which County FA is responsible for Bristol? I'm trying to find some leagues to get involved with... unless anyone here can give me contact details of any? I'm looking for Saturday league where I can do the line and a mixture of Sunday morning senior youth/OA games. I'm a level 7.

Cheers

The Referee Store
If you're a West Riding referee, why not get in touch with Mark Haywood, RDO at West Riding and he can get you an introduction or provide the info.

If you're East Riding, contact Steve Lazenby and if you're North Riding, contact Ross Joyce. If you're are Sheffield & Hallamshire, Craig Grundy is your man.

If you're a West Riding referee, why not get in touch with Mark Haywood, RDO at West Riding and he can get you an introduction or provide the info.

If you're East Riding, contact Steve Lazenby and if you're North Riding, contact Ross Joyce. If you're are Sheffield & Hallamshire, Craig Grundy is your man.
East Riding is no longer Steve Lazenby it’s now William Dodds

I travel the country and the strong accents I struggle with are broad Geordie, broad NW Northern Ireland and broad Cork.... My brain has to really concentrate to understand. Always interesting to see southern accents in Sheffield. There was a funny reaction a few years ago to one lad!

Also, depending on whereabouts in the Bristol area you live and of course, how far you're prepared to travel, you should contact Somerset FA and see what they have on offer. Either way, you shouldn't have any trouble getting your needs met mate.

Finally, now that you've landed down here - forget all about beer and lager - they're for louts and losers. Cider is the way ahead. Embrace it as I have done. Your life will be richer for it and you'll thank me one day. ;):cool:

A friend. :D

Finally, now that you've landed down here - forget all about beer and lager - they're for louts and losers. Cider is the way ahead. Embrace it as I have done. Your life will be richer for it and you'll thank me one day. ;):cool:

I've always preferred cider anyway. What I don't prefer are the prices :(

I’m south of Bristol, down in Somerset - as @Kes you might want to think about Somerset FA.

Happy to give you the contact details of the appointments Officer for the Bridgwater and district Sunday league? A short(ish) hop down the M5, depending on where you are in Bristol.

Perhaps of more use, I can give you the name & email of the Assistant Referees Appointments Officer for the Toolstation Western League, and the Glostershire County League: Saturday leagues that have a team of three

Thought so, sent an email a few days ago but not heard anything back yet, will give it a few more days and then ring if nothing, cheers.
I live on the border and do games under both Gloucester and Somerset FA. After bad experiences in games under both areas, I got a lot more support from the Gloucester FA so I’d advise heading in that direction from that perspective. The Bristol &Suburban league is a well run league and they are sometimes short on refs. Drop me a message I can pass on the details of the appointments officer if you want it. If you’d rather go towards the Somerset route (Weston & District Saturday) I can give you the details of them as well. I find their teams are a lot nicer to deal with (much less mouth) and there’s more divisions and (Trying to be diplomatic here), the sides are in much nicer areas than in Bristol and the players reflect that. They’ve also got a Bridgwater Sunday league but that might be a bit far out for you with teams in North Petherton/Street/Cannington which I suspect would be over an hour from Bristol.

Last edited:
Perhaps of more use, I can give you the name & email of the Assistant Referees Appointments Officer for the Toolstation Western League, and the Glostershire County League: Saturday leagues that have a team of three
That would be very handy if you could send me their details.

The Bristol &Suburban league is a well run league and they are sometimes short on refs. Drop me a message I can pass on the details of the appointments officer if you want it
Likewise, would you mind sending me the details.

I'm based in north Bristol so I don't really think Somerset would be the best FA to go with. TIA

Back