A&H

Moving from youth football to Adult...advice?

Thanks HRW. And Brian, obviously the talking more to a team that is getting smashed bit must come in further on in ref training. Sounds like crazy talk to me. They were losing, it was 11 v 11. We would have spent half the game talking if I'd done that.

The Referee Store
Thanks HRW. And Brian, obviously the talking more to a team that is getting smashed bit must come in further on in ref training. Sounds like crazy talk to me. They were losing, it was 11 v 11. We would have spent half the game talking if I'd done that.
Sometimes a ref's gotta do what a ref's gotta do :)

These are grown men (apparently). I would not pander to them in the way you suggest. If it were a youth game where one team is getting demolished and I did ref a 2-2 half time 10-2 full time last season I would encourage them to keep playing. Adults need to be adults.

These are grown men (apparently). I would not pander to them in the way you suggest. If it were a youth game where one team is getting demolished and I did ref a 2-2 half time 10-2 full time last season I would encourage them to keep playing. Adults need to be adults.
They often revert to their childhood when they cross the white line.

@Brian Hamilton I agree 100%. I did a line for a OA pre-season game between Evo-Stik league team and ANW Combined league team and i was shocked at the pettiness and childishness of them at that level. "But sir he said....sir, did you hear number 4 called me...." Etc...

Heed Brian's words of wisdom here. A team losing badly (even more so if it is an unexpected thrashing) are a potential red flag to the ref. The game can very quickly spiral into chaos, wild challenges, abuse (each other, opponents, spectators, anyone) and dissent is likely as the frustration levels increase.

There are several possible approaches, talking to them a lot more is both simple and effective. Talking all the time, so much so that they behave just to shut you up!

Or just wave lemons at everyone. Might make them behave a little better, but they will resent you for it. And if it doesn't work you have a full note book and a nagging sense that you perhaps could have handled things better after the game finishes.

You need to listen to Brian.

A supposedly better team that is on the wrong end of the score, will often get angry and frustrated. With themselves, their team mates, the opposition and of course you the ref.

As that frustration level rises, often the discipline level descends......you need to be very alert to this and ready to deal with it.

Ever heard of "10 minute refereeing"?

Had another oa game today, 2-1 finish with one card for dissent. The player needed a talking to but decided to walk away. Winning side complimented me on my game. Took your advice Brian and just talked a lot more when a chance arose. The difference this week was players actually asking a question rather than just shouting what the frack!

Reactions: SM
Had another oa game today, 2-1 finish with one card for dissent. The player needed a talking to but decided to walk away. Winning side complimented me on my game. Took your advice Brian and just talked a lot more when a chance arose. The difference this week was players actually asking a question rather than just shouting what the frack!

You say he walked away, how did you deal with that?

Generally it takes more than one attempt to get a player to join you for a public dressing down......let's face it, no one likes getting told off!

As he walked away I clocked that the captain had come over so I said very loudly to him "let's have his name then skipper" which got the whole team saying "get over to the ref!" Love a bit of peer pressure.

As he walked away I clocked that the captain had come over so I said very loudly to him "let's have his name then skipper" which got the whole team saying "get over to the ref!" Love a bit of peer pressure.

Did he walk away whilst you were talking to him? Or did he just not come over at all?

And what was the chat for?

Back