A&H

My First Abandonment

Robin

Level 7 Referee
I was lucky enough to experience my first ever abandonment due to mass fighting today.

It was a mens Sunday league friendly and both teams only had 11 players. Both team managers ran the line and so the game started.

The red team had a set of twins playing upfront and there were a couple offside (correct in law) that they complained and absolutely abused the lino for and so I had a word with them and then it all seemed ok until the next offside.

15 minutes in after the third offside (correct in law) was called by the lino the one red player went over to attack him and pushed him and swore at him, it was then that the blue team captain came in with a massive punch and hit the one red team player (one of the twins). The blue team captain was protecting his uncle who was the lino as well as manager, so obviously there were punches thrown that I saw by the red twins and one blue player, I had my cards out ready to send those 3 players off but didn't send them off as the manager walked off and said he has had enough and was refusing to play so the game was then abandoned and everyone went to the changing room.

Now I am not sure what to do cos no cards were given but the manager is putting a report in for the abuse he was given as well as me giving a report. These 3 players need to get banned but I am really worried nothing will happen cos no cards were given. I wrote there names in my book but didn't physically give them the red card but was just about to before they all stormed off the pitch.

What is the best course of action to ensure that this goes up higher so they get banned?

The Referee Store
Misconduct report to county detailing the incident from start to finish. Sounds like you'll need to be careful with names as the twins are likely to claim you have it the wrong way round (assuming that they are identical!). Give your cfa discipline office a call to ask them if you're unsure. Thankfully not something I've encountered and unlikely this season in u8 to u10 football!

as this was a friendly, and not part of a competition you can only report to CFA as no league to report to.

We assume that the friendly was arranged / authorised and not just two teams wanting a kick about and asked you to ref? (seriously hope it is not the latter!!)

I belive you can only report the misconducts as you have not show the red during the active game, thus everything you have is "before or after" the playing times.

The fact of the tempers flaring that might have made you uneasy at showing reds, that would have inflamed the situation further and you felt would have put YOU in danger is a good point to raise, if this was the case (*cough*).

State what happened, by whom, and at what times, you distances from the players etc, and leave it to CFA to decide what happens.

You think they should be banned, but that's not your choice or decision; you report them and leave it at that - that's all you get paid for / responsible for. If you want to be discipline co-ord for the CFA then apply for the poisiton.

Finally, can you justify to yourself, the action you took and words you had? If so, then you are fine. If you are questioning yoursefl then that;s the learning point from todays lesson.

If worst case, just ask not to be appointed to either of the teams again - on personal grounds (or state that you have a interest in the clubs thus you'll be kept off them)

Wanna bet? Sent 3 U10's the other week, 2 fighting, one 2 footed jump from behind.

U16 went yesterday for spitting ......

As above, plain paper misconduct reports for all those involved (separate report for each, specifically detailing only what that player said or did) plus a report detailing the abandonment. With report writing the trick is to be specific and concise. Do not provide any more detail than is absolutely necessary. For example:

In the 15th minute, (blue team captains name) punched (red player name) in the face/head (Whichever). I was (distance from incident in metres) from the incident and had a clear and unobstructed view. The player was guilty of violent conduct but not shown a red card due to the match being abandoned.

Something like that.

Put the reports in and let county sort it out.

Luckily this kind of thing is rare mate. Hang in there.

No the manager for this league at this level want them. Not your normal youth club but lower levels of the big 8 PL clubs.

interesting and ironic given that some academies last season felt that cards were not part and parcel of their game - subject of a previous, lengthy thread on here. f.a. were supposed to be telling them that they were wrong - perhaps the message is finally getting through

now to get the same message through to some referees............

Back