A&H

New member.

Chris Smith

Hi all, my name is Chris and I am in the Armed Forces. I was due to do my basic Army FA Referee course 2 years ago but I kept getting told no.

Anyway the drive is still there and managed to get my self on a course in January, it's a week course all crammed in looking at the time table. I was a side linesman 2 weeks ago with a level 3 referee who also dose league 2 matches. He came up to my boss last week and he told them to fetch me as they were short a linesman or the match wouldn't start and didn't want anyone else to do it. After the match he told me and my boss i need to go on the earliest course that's in September and he was happy as all my dissensions was bank on, so now I am on my course in September.

Anyway there is my introduction, my next question is I am in the middle of studying the 17 laws it seems small but out of the experienced referee's on this forum where is best to start studying and any key points would be really appropriated.

Thank you for your time.

The Referee Store
Hi Chris

Welcome to the site. Always good to see more people turning to the dark side. :)

As for studying, I wouldn't get too bogged down with players equipment and the ball etc. concentrate your time on offside and free kick offences. You'll pick it up in no time

Thanks Ross,

I had noticed the off side law has changed yesterday. The ball is easy I read it once and stuck.
http://areferee.com/soccer.php I am also running threw these as well as reading the PDF file I printed out. It is helping, just wish my course would hurry up.

Thanks Ross,

I had noticed the off side law has changed yesterday. The ball is easy I read it once and stuck.
http://areferee.com/soccer.php I am also running threw these as well as reading the PDF file I printed out. It is helping, just wish my course would hurry up.
Don't bother reading through every position of a free kick because most of the spiel on the long ones ends in " unless the offence occurred inside the goal area in which case..." learn it but don't over read it cause it will clog up your brain.

Try to find patterns like if the ball crosses the goal line but because of the restart a goal cannot be scored, the restart is the same as what it would've been had it gone over the goal line outside the posts.

If you understand the logic and the reasoning behind the laws then remembering them is a lot easier.

Back