A&H

New ref back after a while

Evvo162

So, I first qualified in the early 90's and got to Class 2 then had a big break from refereeing from about 2003 until I retook the course in October. Did my first OA game for 14 years today and on the whole went ok but God did they moan. Quality of the football was really poor but it seemed every bit of physical contact was followed up by a moan.

I don't seem to remember coming across players complaining so much in the ten years I did before, have things changed or is it just that I have erased it from my mind?

The Referee Store
Hi @Evvo162 I started in 2001 and found over the last 13 years that the complaining and moaning has increased. It seems that misconduct has increased massively during that time.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to hand out the yellows when it gets too much (one yesterday). At least I don't have to hand write the reports in triplicate anymore!

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to hand out the yellows when it gets too much (one yesterday). At least I don't have to hand write the reports in triplicate anymore!
Those were the days. Hand written reports, duplicate or triplicate and different colours for some counties. 9 reds from a mass confrontation wasn't fun!

I agree with Brian, for me dissent has got a lot worse

I had an enlightening discussion with a couple of local team managers - they agreed with each other that referees are far too keen to hand out cautions for dissent and don't protect players enough and hand out enough sanctions for foul tackles.

I asked what they thought about dissent and they said it was due to so many tackles going unpunished!

:D

Not that I agree, but it was an interesting point of view.

Reactions: ELP
Welcome back to the madness! :D

I've been reffing for eight years now, and even in that short space of time dissent/moaning has definitely increased; not really sure what to put it down to.

Back