A&H

Newcastle Vs Arsenal

The Referee Store
“Nothing conclusive” really? The push in the back looked blatant to me. Doesn’t defender have an easy header without the push - and the footage showed straight arms - easy surely?

I thought that was really good from VAR. Inconclusive on the in/out. Obviously not offside with the technology (I actually thought it was going to get disallowed for this). I think the push is possibly a foul, but happens so often in a game and is unpunished. For me, the defender’s already halfway down attempting to play the ball before going to tiny deck. Can see why Arsenal fans are aggrieved though

For those who are saying the Havertz challenge was a caution-what else would have been needed for you to call that a SFP red?

High speed, high force into the plant leg. Havertz comes lunging/flying in. I fail to see how that isn’t endangering the safety of the player. I’m a neutral in this game, so I don’t have a rooting interest. If the only reason that isn’t SFP is because the contact was low or not studs first, then we need to move away from this “check a lot of boxes” exercise and think of the total context of the challenge.
His leading leg doesn’t make contact, it’s the follow through. At which point a lot of the speed and force is gone. It’s a glancing contact that isn’t at risk of injuring the opponent.

The word from VAR is that the goal could have been offside, but there was no acceptable camera angle catching the point Joelinton made contact with the ball. Breaking news: nobody knows anything.

For me, the defender’s already halfway down attempting to play the ball before going to tiny deck.

Yeah, on another replay, i can understand foul not been given as it does look like gabriel is doing this just before the push..

Have to say. Probably the worst referring I have seen this season. Tough game to ref I admit, but this is the premier league.

Have to say. Probably the worst referring I have seen this season. Tough game to ref I admit, but this is the premier league.
I don’t agree. Missing Bruno’s elbow is human. Missing the foul for the goal same.

For me it highlights that VAR is pointless. If it can’t see Bruno’s elbow, an offside or foul for the goal it is pointless.

And maybe it highlights that there are not enough eyes on the field. The game is do fast, players cheating/fouling so much off the ball, the one referee paradigm looks very 20th century.

The word from VAR is that the goal could have been offside, but there was no acceptable camera angle catching the point Joelinton made contact with the ball. Breaking news: nobody knows anything.
I don't see how this matters. He was offside during the whole process no? Could have taken the first possible time and last possible time and he would have been offside.

Two hands into the back as Gabriel was just about to head it.... That's always a foul..

Punching/elbow to the head not violent conduct?

I don't think it was a foul on Gabriel, yes there are arms on him but he isn't really pushing and Gabriel was already on his way down.

What I will never understand though is why don't they check for offside first if there is a chance there might have been an offside offence. They spent an age checking for ball out of play and a possible foul, neither of which would have been relevant if there was an offside.

I don't think it was a foul on Gabriel, yes there are arms on him but he isn't really pushing and Gabriel was already on his way down.

What I will never understand though is why don't they check for offside first if there is a chance there might have been an offside offence. They spent an age checking for ball out of play and a possible foul, neither of which would have been relevant if there was an offside.
Because the process

Could say the same thing about the ball being out. If it's out then nothing else matters.

Think Arteta will be getting a phone call on Monday after repeatedly referring to decisions made in the game as embarrassing and a disgrace in his post match interview :eek:

it’s the nature of the fall which gets me, and with most footballers. If you’re pushed you naturally put your arms forward to break the fall. Players who are looking for something and/or feel something in their back fall forward with their arms stretched out wide. That isn’t natural and shouts of a player looking for a foul. Im not saying it is or isn’t a foul, but it’s certainly a player looking for one when he realises he’s misjudged the ball

Could say the same thing about the ball being out. If it's out then nothing else matters.
Yeah, I was talking more generally and checking ball out of play is quite rare for VAR. But there have been loads where they spend time checking for a foul, only to then go back and check for offside. That's counter productive, as if there is an offside the foul effectively didn't happen.

Yeah, I was talking more generally and checking ball out of play is quite rare for VAR. But there have been loads where they spend time checking for a foul, only to then go back and check for offside. That's counter productive, as if there is an offside the foul effectively didn't happen.
If you mean when looking for a PK, they have to do that first. The OS isn’t reviewable unless they find a PK first.

Back