A&H

No captain?

volt177

Also 3W
Level 5 Referee
This was Sunday league.
I had approached a player to ask where their captain had gone, as I needed him to calm down one of his players.
The player informed me that he subbed off and they had no captain.
What is procedure in this instance, do I have to ask the captain to come back on? None of the other players wanted to take the armband.

The Referee Store
What does the LotG say about captains?
Very little, actually. Competition rule normally mandates a person must be nominated as captain and wear an armband and failure to do so is a fine.

For me, if there is no captain then there is no one to take responsibility for player behaviour then we try to manage the player one on one and failing that we just use our other tools i.e. cards.

Edit: and report the club for breaching competition rules for not nominating a captain (providing competition rules state they must. It is part of SCOR in England)

Very little, actually. Competition rule normally mandates a person must be nominated as captain and wear an armband and failure to do so is a fine.

For me, if there is no captain then there is no one to take responsibility for player behaviour then we try to manage the player one on one and failing that we just use our other tools i.e. cards.

Edit: and report the club for breaching competition rules for not nominating a captain (providing competition rules state they must. It is part of SCOR in England)
I know you know Jamie-boy - I was encouraging the OP to look it up!

I did a contrib game where one of the captains said to me in the tunnel before the game "just so you know, I don't like referees and I won't talk to them". I'd heard other referees talk about him and thought they were joking but turned out they were right. No skin off my nose, any potential to use the referee to calm a player down just became an automatic caution.

There's no LoTG requirement for having a captain, so I'd just report it as a breach of competition rules.

Back