A&H

No Surprises

HRW

RefChat Addict
Now we all say that we don't want an "surprises". You know, the assistant flagging for a PK when NOONE is asking for it, the straight red for something that only you have seen, or the giving of a goal when it was no-where near going over.

But why? Is it becuase you may lose match control? is it because others may react offensively to your decision?

And how do people react - anger, frustration or sarcasm?

Well, pitch next to me on Saturday, I can only suspect that the Ref gave the world's biggest surprise, only to be caught short himself.

So, what DO you do when a player signals to be subbed off, and then as he gets to the side line, stumbes and has a heart attack.

Not sure what the ref did, but the Paramedics, and Fire Brigade, were on scene pretty sharpish. Apparently last game of the season, hes played all of them but had felt a bit "off" during the previous game and had not gone to see his Doctor.

So next time you think, or ask for "no surprises" just remeber, you might be the one that gets the surprise!

NB I don't know the him personally, but do wish him well and that he recovers back to full health. And to the player.

The Referee Store
Dunno - I was on a double header, top of the table clash with the league title at steak - on m own with NO assistants.

Noticed a commotion, and odd that people were still there when others had gone, then the ambulance and FB to carry him over the pitches and stream in the middle. Had it confirmed back in the changing rooms.

But (and its a but) player is off the pitch, medical assistance has been called, you could go on....... could.

i have done some advanced first aid, not to help with head injuries, leg breaks etc, but purely for this type of situation.
we as refs are not responsible for any injuries, but for life threatening conditions i want to be able to either be hands on or give advice at the scene.
my doubles partner during a tennis match a couple of years ago had a heart attack, and i was clueless about how to do anything other than get him in to recovery position (which was the wrong thing to do) but luckily there was a) a doctor on the court next door and b) a defibrilator at the club, the combination of the 2 saved the mans life. i do now make a mental note of where the defibrilator is when i get to a game (either football, tennis squash , whatever) and if there isnt one i'll get on someones case about it ! manual CPR doesnt have a great success rate unfortunately, but these machines save lives

I don't think I've seen a defibrillator at any ground except our county ground!

But very true they should be available at all sports venues given the increasing instances of heart attacks and failures in sports people

I don't think I've seen a defibrillator at any ground except our county ground!

But very true they should be available at all sports venues given the increasing instances of heart attacks and failures in sports people
yep, they are a relatively inexpensive piece of kit so there should'nt be any excuses for most clubs

It's a hard one because technically as he is off the pitch you could play on, but who would!!!! Heart attacks are shocking for everyone who witnesses them so common sense is the best thing. I know when Muamba had his cardiac arrest it was on the pitch but in that situation the ref did the right thing once Muamba had been taken off and it is what I would do. Get the emergency services, Talk to the coaches, talk to the captains and then talk to the teams. Try to work out what is going through their mind and decide whether they are in the right frame of mind to continue playing or whether to suspend or abandon the match and then of course, report it to the FA.

For anybody who wasn't old enough to remember or hasn't seen it.

The way it was handled by all involved was incredible and I challenge anyone to watch this without a lump in their throat

The only time I've seen Howard Webb show any sort of vulnerability and he handled it like a pro.

The way it was handled by all involved was incredible and I challenge anyone to watch this without a lump in their throat

The only time I've seen Howard Webb show any sort of vulnerability and he handled it like a pro.

Not old enough?

Like under 5 years old? :eek:

I remember watching this game live on the TV (ESPN if you remember them), absolutely shocking images that get me every time I watch them

Back