A&H

No wonder players think we make it up

deusex

RefChat Addict
So there I was, cup semi, 2 vastly more experienced (ex level 4) refs as my assistants and two league officials. Upon seeing that one club had a player/manager as a named sub, a comment was made by a league official along the lines of wouldn't it be funny if he go sent from the VOTFOP as a manager and then brought himself on, as there would be nothing I could do!!!
The other official then piped up with "The FA say he only becomes a player when he get's brought on".
I couldn't belive the twaddle that was coming out.
Not wanting to call league officials on their b*llsh*t, I rather meekly mumbled I would be treating him as a player throughout as he was a named player and he would be eligible for YC and RC before he came on.
These men were supposedly refs as well.
I think a LOTG referesher exam might be in order!

The Referee Store
So there I was, cup semi, 2 vastly more experienced (ex level 4) refs as my assistants and two league officials. Upon seeing that one club had a player/manager as a named sub, a comment was made by a league official along the lines of wouldn't it be funny if he go sent from the VOTFOP as a manager and then brought himself on, as there would be nothing I could do!!!
The other official then piped up with "The FA say he only becomes a player when he get's brought on".
I couldn't belive the twaddle that was coming out.
Not wanting to call league officials on their b*llsh*t, I rather meekly mumbled I would be treating him as a player throughout as he was a named player and he would be eligible for YC and RC before he came on.
These men were supposedly refs as well.
I think a LOTG referesher exam might be in order!
I'd have ignored them and had a laugh with my team in the changing rooms afterwards. Some may have been referees once, but they're not now. Unless they are still actively involved in refereeing, assessing, mentoring or tutoring, it's sometimes better that these former referees stay away.

Given that the question has been raised on forums a few times, I imagine there's a few confused around that.
Basically, there's a possible few reasons might potentially dismiss him as a manager when he hasn't done anything you could book him for as a player - but if it's a player/manager and he does something bookable, then deal with him as a player. KISS.

All the more reason for him to keep his mouth quiet. If he reacts poorly, the team looses a manager and a player.

Given that the question has been raised on forums a few times, I imagine there's a few confused around that.
Basically, there's a possible few reasons might potentially dismiss him as a manager when he hasn't done anything you could book him for as a player - but if it's a player/manager and he does something bookable, then deal with him as a player. KISS.

Ah but you've forgotten that player managers, in their mind, are above all LOTG. So they can mouth off and question any decision and change between being a player and manager as they see fit to question your decisions.

Back