A&H

Non active rolls

SteveAustinRef

Level 7 Referee
I have today had to email my county FA regarding my possible future as an active referee. With out going into too much detail I was rushed to hospital last night and spent 12 hours undergoing test. Having baffled the doctors I have been referred to a Cardiologist for further tests.

I don't want to walk away from the game should the results show that I should not referee again, what non-active rolls could I do to support referees as a level 7 referee?

The Referee Store
they are the only two I can think off, but I didn't know if you had to be a level 5 to become them

Hang in there fella and chin up.

It's always scary being rushed to hospital (especially if it is first time) but baffling doctors isn't always a bad thing, until you get the consultants opinion, don't get ahead of your yourself.

Good luck Mate. You could mentor new referees?
I'd be happy for the help :)

Thanks for the support guys, going to miss being out this weekend.

Was heading for an Under 18s match Sat am between Evesham united and Dudley Town, but that is no longer happening.

I was very surprised that my CFA haven't emailed me back today regarding the matter.

Good luck with this, do you have to stay in football as a referee? Have you considered coaching? We're massively short of coaches national at most levels. I often consider it as my knees are often painful after a game and have considered doing this if I can't referee.

I haven't considered that, I think I would be to vocal towards the referee during matches
You'd make a good coach then lol.

Seriously though, I had to give up playing after half a season doing both ref and player, as well as coaching juniors.

Once I became a ref, I found I had too low a tolerance for poor refereeing.........

Mind you, seeing the look on some faces when I quoted Law at them was priceless.

I have today had to email my county FA regarding my possible future as an active referee. With out going into too much detail I was rushed to hospital last night and spent 12 hours undergoing test. Having baffled the doctors I have been referred to a Cardiologist for further tests.

I don't want to walk away from the game should the results show that I should not referee again, what non-active rolls could I do to support referees as a level 7 referee?
I was diagnosed with a heart complaint 7 years ago but kept on refereeing. I took a little pill every day to control my blood pressure and 9 months ago they doubled the dose. I had a few problems in training and went through a battery of tests and now have a second little pill to take every day. I also got told to give up refereeing but as I wear a heart rate monitor during training and in games, I kept on refereeing. I figured if it went off during a game, then I'd know it was time.

I ran in excess of 12km today during my game and never felt better. So I'm not sure the medical advice is totally correct.

Regarding assessing, you have to be "credible" and generally have to have attained level 5. In terms of being a tutor, again the credibility question is raised and I don't know of any tutor who didn't go through at least 2 promotions. One role which will help, especially if you get attached to a league you have worked on, is the role of referee mentor. In this role, you can attend games and provide practical advice to new referees just starting out on their career path. It can be really satisfying when they begin to click and when you see one of them on the promotion list at the end of the season, it makes it all worthwhile.

Give it a go, but certainly don't walk away.

Finally had my appointment through for next Friday, the letter tells me to be dressed for running on a treadmill. After some searching online I found out that the test is likely to be the Bruce Test. Which consists of running on a treadmill at various speeds and incline whilst connected to an ECG and oxygen mask just to make it harder.

On a positive I did go to the gym for a light workout last night, well I say light considering I have done no activity since my last game three weeks ago now, so was pleased that I did 30 mins on the treadmill at a decent pace before saying that's enough, although I did feel I could of done more.

Reactions: SM
Thanks,

It would seem that I have managed my first game back very well, a tough top of the table clash in Div 1, a real end to end game, and my heart rate at almost 90% for 90 mins.
I was very surprised I felt great after the game, and have since done another game and I am due back out this weekend.

I have applied to my CFA to become a mentor but have not heard anything back yet.

Reactions: SM
It's a shame when referees are offering their time and a reply is slow in coming back, but give it a bit more time mate.

Has your CFA got a Mentor Coordinator? You might find you have a role to play there? There might be others near you looking to stay in the game without committing themselves as you do when assessing

County boundaries mean nothing either mate, check to see if your nearby neighbours are doing anything, especially if local leagues overlap.

Mind how you go cardiac wise! beware the calm before the storm, like I said earlier, all the best to you.

Back