A&H

Open Age Not Hypothetical but funny!

MattyontheWhistle

RefChat Addict
OK, had a really good game, good-tempered match with some decent footy being played. Away GK broke his finger making a save, and his replacement was.....well......not the brightest shall we say.......

It's a goal kick to Away team. Keeper places ball on left hand corner of the goal area, ready to play it to the full back on that side. FB gets closed down, so GK swivels and toe-pokes it across the goal area towards the FB on the far side of the area.

Unfortunately, for him, the ball trickles weakly past the goal and bobbles slowly over the goal line. One very red-faced goalkeeper.

I looked at my watch, and with 10secs remaining figured I'd save his blushes and blow for FT.

When I was asked after the game would it have been a corner or a goal kick, I explained that I would have given a re-take, as the ball wasn't in play until it had left the penalty area.

"But surely it's left the penalty area when it crosses the goal line?"

#Insert 'DUH" smiley here#

'Well technically, it has, but it hasn't come into play?'

I am pretty sure I am right in thinking that if it had left the penalty area THEN crossed the goal line, it would be a corner. As it never left the penalty area, was I correct in thinking it was a retake?

The Referee Store
Thanks guys. It was one of those that I never doubted during the game, but when asked afterwards it was a 'Huh? Maybe I am wrong' moments.

You were 100% correct. If it doesn't leave the PA, it is a retake of the GK no matter what happens (including a punch up!)

Back