A&H

Number of games for promotion 7-6

Reffy

Level 7 Referee
Evening all,

I've just been informed that if I wish to apply for promotion this year then I need to complete 20 games from 1 June 2013 to 28 feb 2014.

I was on the understanding the criteria ran from the beginning of march to the end of feb but apparently that's only the case for the year before promotion. ie 1 mar 2012 to 28 feb 2013. Has anyone else heard this?

It screws me in because in the 2012 season I did 18 middles :-( and this year I was on for 20 having done 14 already but with this new rule it takes me back to 7. Confused?

The Referee Store
Hi there. I am going for promotion too and we have to complete 20 logged open aged games with at least 3 assessments by the end of the marking year, being the 28th of February 2014.

This is what i was told
1. A Level 7 Referee must officiate as a referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period (1 June to 31 May the following year) before APPLYING for promotion.
i.e i. 01/06/2012 – 31/05/2013 or ii. 01/06/2013 – date of 2014 application
2. The 20 qualifying games to apply for promotion can be ANY 11v11 match
Once your promotion application has been accepted then you will have to referee a minimum of 20 matches in competitions where the players are 16 years or above and then 70% of these games have to be in open age football during the MARKING PERIOD 1 March to last day of February in the following year. i.e. if you referee the minimum number of matches (20) then 14 must be in open age and a maximum of 6 in age related football – U17, U18, U21 etc

It's 20 from March 1- Feb 28. I can never understand how any referee struggles to get his games in during a promotion season. If you do Saturday and Sunday and a midweek league, it's possible to top over 100 games in a typical season

It's 20 from March 1- Feb 28. I can never understand how any referee struggles to get his games in during a promotion season. If you do Saturday and Sunday and a midweek league, it's possible to top over 100 games in a typical season

You can't understand if an official doesn't referee 3 times a week? At level 7/6, where floodlights aren't prevalent and evenings games don't exist for several months? Where a promotion candidate has other commitments because this isn't the sole thing in their life? Add in acting as an Assistant Referee on a higher level and that cuts down the number of games significantly.

Yeah. It's not always a piece of cake. More encouragement, less patronisation.

You misunderstand. With the OPPORTUNITY to do more than 100 games a season, I can't understand why a referee can't fit in 20 games. I'm fully aware that by offering your services as an Assistant can reduce the opportunities, but still, if you can't get in 20, then I would have to question commitment levels.

I have two small children and work 40+ hours a week. I chose to referee on a Saturday only so I get to spend time with my family. I don't want to get higher than a level 5 for this reason.

I do middles in the morning and lines with more senior referees in the afternoon. Doing this gives me around 30 middles a season, so plenty of games for promotion from March to Feb. However, if its from June to feb which is what the referees department at Birmingham county FA have sent me in writing, then that makes it much harder, unless I take up Saturdays and Sundays.

That's a fair turn out Reffy and I don't understand why your County have said June to Feb unless it's to do with a realignment of marking groups. In my area, three Supply Leagues merged their referees and assistants into a pool to give them and the teams some new faces to look at. They also decided that none of the marks from the 2012-13 would be carried over in the marking. Maybe they have done the same in your area and they've done the same all the way thru the promotion scheme. I agree it's not fair to change rules mid season

It seems strange. I might question it again, but do have it in writing.....like the idea of merging, hope its worked well.

It seems strange. I might question it again, but do have it in writing.....like the idea of merging, hope its worked well.
It's been very difficult as an assessor as it became evident very quickly that each league had different expectations from their referees in the last few seasons. As a result some referees who were well regarded in their old league and performing well, seem not to be faring very well.

I could see how it would be hard for you as an assessor, would think refs from different leagues would think your been harsh on them?

I just expect the referees to achieve at the level set out in the competencies. If previous assessors have gauged the referees against each other rather than against the competencies, then it may seem harsh. It seems unusual that referees who have managed well for a few seasons suddenly become "bad" referees at the start of this season, just because they are not known to the local assessors though. Either a blind eye has been turned to deficiencies in the past or competencies have not been used correctly before.

Back