A&H

Observer attire

dylanbailey4444

Level 5 Referee
I am observing my first game tomorrow and was wondering what attire is best ? I’ve seen some observers dressed in sports tracksuits and some dressed in what you may consider smart casual.

Odd question I know, but I don’t want to be incorrectly dressed ! 😂

The Referee Store
It’s still cold so just make sure you wear warm clothes. It’s not a fashion show, with a big coat nobody will see what you have on under it.

I am observing my first game tomorrow and was wondering what attire is best ? I’ve seen some observers dressed in sports tracksuits and some dressed in what you may consider smart casual.

As a Match Day Coach there is no dress code - warm clothing essential just now.
Recommended dress codes apply for Observers watching referees at Level 4 and above.
Enjoy!

Not sure what the standard is in England, but in the United States we generally wear some sort of shirt with the governing organization on it and then whatever we need to be comfortable while still looking official. Obviously, an official tracksuit/warm-up suit is acceptable. For me, I don't like to wear a full warm-up to a game unless I'm going to officiate it, but that would clearly be acceptable dress.

I was going to observe/mentor this weekend in an indoor environment (full field indoor game) before a facility issue canceled the entire slate of games. I was going to wear a USSF (our FA) long sleeved hooded t-shirt, a pair of “smart joggers” (casual pants with elastic cuffs at the bottom), and a nice pair of sneakers. If I'm outside on a hot and humid day, I'll wear shorts and not think twice about it and obviously wear some sort of hat to protect my head. Comfort comes first, then wearing some sort of identifying apparel comes next.

Yesterday, I would have been dressed somewhat similar to this (obviously without a headset).

1705777425234.jpeg

At least in the US, standards of dress continue to become more casual. Nothing symbolizes this more than how US basketball coaches now dress much more casually than before the pandemic. Pre-pandemic, basketball coaches almost always wore suits and ties. A few would forego the ties, but jackets were mandatory. Now I'd say 75% or more of coaches wear casual attire like polo shirts, half-zip sweaters, and even sneakers. This article shows the evolution of coach attire. For me, I really don't care how people dress as long as they look "put together". If you want to suit and boot, have at it. If you are like me and enjoy being more casual, wear that.

Last edited:
I have no experience of this, but I would say go casual and comfortable. Unless you are observing higher level referees (I'm thinking 4 and above as a minimum) you are going to look pompous.

I'm sure we can all remember John Terry in "full kit winker" mode.

Only one answer at grassroots level, anything to keep you warm and dry.....

Depends what level you are Observing at - but any level up to Level 4’s you just need to wear clothes to be warm in.

Back