A&H

*OFFICIAL* World Cup 2014 Thread!

Agreed. Henderson does absolutely nothing - does drive forwards, doesn't get assists, doesn't score goals...

I think Barkley is a good player, but I wouldn't start him yet for sure especially against teams like Italy and Uruguay where experience is needed.

And you've got to be joking @Steve C, yes I know Johnson isn't the best in the world, but would you really rather play a left-footed inexperienced 18 year old out of position in a world cup?

Don't mean that in a bad way though lol, just my opinion of course :)

not many of our players have played at a WC anyway, Rooney, Gerrard, Johnson and Lampard are the only ones that played in the last WC so most are new to this kind of thing. And I'd also choose Henderson as he's used to playing with Gerrard and Sterling so the chemistry is good and he did score 5 goals last year and for a central midfielder (it was more than Wilshire, cleverley, young etc.) that's ok and he assisted a lot too. His stamina is good too, he does work a lot and it doesn't get recognised. Also he was the England U21s captain so I think he's as good as any of our young players to bring in to the side!

So tbh id be tempted to play a team that can play well as individuals and their club mates around them, especially Liverpool as their football was excellent this season. I wouldn't be too bothered about the stage as I tell the team I coach to play our own game and not worry about the opposition or the type of game. So yeah I'd play Shaw over Johnson and Barkley as theyre only going to learn if they play a big role, rather than nannying them because theyre young. If they didn't fulfil the role, id change them for someone else.

But yeah opinions are different and everyone's entitled to their point of view :)

The Referee Store
Shaw at right back? Lol

Henderson is under rated. The guy had his critics at Liverpool and rightly so in his first season there. Now he is well regarded and rightly so. On form he runs the show and played his part in driving Liverpool up the table. Needs to weigh in with a few more goals mind. For England he is playing holding midfield. Not his position. He is a box to box midfielder who needs to be allowed to get forward and drive play on.

Barkley may well become a world class player. At the moment he is a young player who needs to develop his sense of awareness as his final ball is poor at times and he often runs himself down blind alleys. All well and good running with the ball past defenders, needs to add a bit of quality at the end of his play.

Fair play, Id have taken Micah Richards which is why I have a bad right back crisis with the squad he took haha

No Buffon for Italy so PSG's Sirigu comes in. Italy still as strong or is there a potential weakness now?

Sirigu is a very good GK. I don't reckon he's as good as Buffon -- even if he's a better shot stopper, he doesn't command the same respect from his teammates and hasn't got the leadership -- but I don't think it's going to be a particular weakness for Italy.

What madness. Costa Rica prove you can take nothing for granted at the World Cup - bit tired waiting for the England game trying to filter out linekers nonsense.

I am struggling to see Rooney in the final game if we need to score several goals, he blows so hot and cold. Half hearted defending, taking the ball off of team mates in better positions, silly shots from silly angles, too many flashes of the frustrated boy we saw in other big tournaments.

He did set up the goal though.

England looked fragile in defence, Rooney offering baines little cover and relied far too heavily on shots from outside of the area. England do look like a team that will score goals. Interesting to see what happens now. All the talk pre match was Italy will target Johnson, however, Johnson looked solid when attacked. The other wing was a constant source of problems.

Italy v Uruguay

chompchomp_H-L-943x521.jpg

Webb's got Brazil - Chile and Kuipers Colombia - Uruguay.

Coincidentally Webb also officiated Brazil - Chile in South Africa.

Hmm tough that, 2 very good south american nations in a knockout stage with one as home nation. I would not be sleeping easy if I were Webbster!

25 trios, 5 back up ;). Officials with only 1 group game were Bakary Gassama, Peter O'Leary, Howard Webb and Yuichi Nishimura. Two got three games (Nestor Pitana was one of them) and the rest got 2

Thats still 30 trios ;) if this was a game show id be raging on air ;)
Technically not as the 5 support were only duos, not trios and even then the South African ref had to go home injured. :D

Back