A&H

OFFINABUS towards the referee

Ref_otter

Level 7 Referee
Sitting my exam tonight and was looking at OFFINABUS. If it's used towards an official or a player calls one of us a "cheat" while the ball is in play, it's a red card, but how is play restarted ? Because its verbal and none contact is it an IDFK ?

The Referee Store
Sitting my exam tonight and was looking at OFFINABUS. If it's used towards an official or a player calls one of us a "cheat" while the ball is in play, it's a red card, but how is play restarted ? Because its verbal and none contact is it an IDFK ?

Correct. From Law 12:

All verbal offences are penalised with an indirect free kick.

Correct. From Law 12:

All verbal offences are penalised with an indirect free kick.
Thank you for helping me clear that up. I was sure it was right but could of swore I was told different, so second guessed myself ! If contact was made then it would become a DFK ? Seems a silly question as I know, I know it's right but getting a bit panicky 😂

Thank you for helping me clear that up. I was sure it was right but could of swore I was told different, so second guessed myself ! If contact was made then it would become a DFK ? Seems a silly question as I know, I know it's right but getting a bit panicky 😂

As a general rule of thumb, non-contact offences are IDFKs (there are some exceptions though)... As for the follow-up question, if contact has been made, the offence is still a verbal offence; unless you stop play for a foul and THEN OFFINABUS happens.

Basically - if you are stopping play for OFFINABUS it is an IDFK. If you stop play for a foul or ball out of play it is still a RC but the restart depends on what you stopped the game for. Hard to explain, but hope this helps!

As a general rule of thumb, non-contact offences are IDFKs (there are some exceptions though)... As for the follow-up question, if contact has been made, the offence is still a verbal offence; unless you stop play for a foul and THEN OFFINABUS happens.

Basically - if you are stopping play for OFFINABUS it is an IDFK. If you stop play for a foul or ball out of play it is still a RC but the restart depends on what you stopped the game for. Hard to explain, but hope this helps!
That makes perfect sense thank you ! Really helped me clear it up !

Back