A&H

Offside - interfering - with a player's mind

I wonder if, from the OP - it was one of those justifiable early flags? Eg only the offside player is running for the ball, flag goes up, then he stops and the other player moves for it?

The Referee Store
I wonder if, from the OP - it was one of those justifiable early flags? Eg only the offside player is running for the ball, flag goes up, then he stops and the other player moves for it?

It was one of those that everyone was expecting and I was probably creating problems for myself by being a stickler for the laws - I could have re-started the game quickly and no-one would have said a word ... It was early in the game and I didn't want to have a game of the CAR(s) raising early flags and giving me a potentially bigger problem later

Thanks for thoughts everyone

Let's not kid ourselves, even us as qualified refs could sit and argue a lot of these decisions. For a CAR trying to help out its even harder. I find even when you tell them to take their time before sticking the flag up many will put it up in their attempts to be spot on super quickly. I always tell a CAR that running the line is a tough job and how much I appreciate their help.

The two points to take away from this;

1) CARs don't make decisions, they provide suggestions.

2) communication is king - CARs know you will overrule them if you disagree and players know they play to the whistle.

The two points to take away from this;

1) CARs don't make decisions, they provide suggestions.

2) communication is king - CARs know you will overrule them if you disagree and players know they play to the whistle.

I agree, but on point 2 I think we've all been there when that CAR who was happy as pie when you said you may over rule him suddenly becomes possessed by the devil because you wave his flag down. Plus we all know everyone should play to the whistle, but all of us have had to shout at both teams at one time or another saying play on because everyone stops when the flag goes up!

Back