A&H

Offside question

Mameha

Sorry for newbie question but i am a new linesman and cant work this out.

Red striker 1 is in offside position near goalpost.

Red player 2 passes to him.

Yellow defender attempts to clear the pass, but miskicks in to own goal (or out for corner)

Is red striker 1 considered here as interfering and therefore an offside offence?

The Referee Store
Did Red S1 impact the defender's ability to play the ball? It doesn't sound like it so no offside.

Keep in mind, impacting the ability is generally for physical interference. His presence impacting the defender's thought process doesn't count.

I think it might help to read carefully through the offside law as it pertains to this particular issue. The section that deals with this, says that a player is penalised for interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Also, bear the following section in mind as it could be applicable.
In situations where:
  • a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball
Overall, I agree with @one that there doesn't seem to be any clear evidence of an offside offence given in your description. Unless there's something else you're not telling us, it doesn't sound as if the attacker has done anything more than simply being in an offside position - which as we know, is not an offence.

I think the overall question to be considered on interfering with an opponent is whether the opponent's actual physical capability of playing the ball has been materially affected by the attacker.

Last edited:
Reactions: one
Thanks all, the diagram above is 100% the scenario. Good to know its not offside, though i do pity the defender here especially when they own goal as a result.

Thanks all, the diagram above is 100% the scenario. Good to know its not offside, though i do pity the defender here especially when they own goal as a result.

Alas, IFAB has no pity at all for defenders or GKs . . . one thing to know is that OS has been continuously tweaked over the past decades--and virtually every change made has been to limit when an attacker will be considered to have committed an OS offense. So some of those who spout incorrect things about OS are saying things that would have been true 5, 10, or 20 years ago.

As I always advise my fellow QPR, non ref fans, the most important part of the offside law is the 1st line

It is not an offence to be in an offside position. So many, fans and players, don't appreciate this.

Back