A&H

Offside

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
I was talking to a friend of mine who’s 15 and plays for stoke city u23s premier league so he’s pretty good. Anyway, we were taking football and then offside.

Now , if 2 attackers are through on goal, past the keeper and last defender, my understanding is that they can pass it to eachother but only if it is across or behind, they can’t pass it in front.

He said that you can’t pass at all once you’re through, but I’m sure you can. He said that his coach had told him that.

Can you confirm?

The Referee Store
The direction of the ball has no bearing at all with regards to offside.

If im reading it right and two attackers through with an open goal, attacker A with the ball can pass to team mate B as long as hes behind attacker A and he will still be onside.

If im reading it right and two attackers through with an open goal, attacker A with the ball can pass to team mate B as long as hes behind attacker A and he will still be onside.

Yes wasn’t meaning the direction of the ball more where the attacker was but yes as long as he’s behind he won’t be offside and if he’s in front and it is passed to him he’s offside

Correct. The ball can go in any direction - it is offside if B is beyond A when it is played.

Offside position = beyond 2nd last defender AND ball at the moment the foot makes contact with the ball
Two attackers could be beyond everyone and play passy with one another, but they'd have to keep shuffling back and forth to stay behind the ball

This is one of those old myths and I've heard referees say that you can't be offside if the ball is played backwards. Good to see that a professional club are educating their players well … :wall:

This is one of those old myths and I've heard referees say that you can't be offside if the ball is played backwards. Good to see that a professional club are educating their players well … :wall:

I didn’t actually mean the direction of the ball I just meant that if the attacker is behind the ball when it is played he would be onside but sorry for the confusion.

And yes I get your point

Back