A&H

offside?

simonwref

Level 6 Referee
I was assistant ref today and I had a disagreement with my referee.
There was a midfield freekick and the group of player lined up on the 18 yard line.
As the ball was played in I clocked that attacking 9 was in an offside position.
I followed the play and the ball to the 6 yard line, where 9 challenged for the ball, I raised my flag at this point and when the referee saw me I sidestepped to the 18 yard line and lowered my flag to signal offside.
At halftime, the ref asked ne why I did this, he explained to me that this was wrong, as the free kick for offside should be signalled and taken at the place where the interference happened, whereas I thought the freekick should be where he was offside, provided that he interferes with play.

The Referee Store
You were right, in practice most assistants don't bother and the teams will just get on with it.
Remember that a player may not become active until he's within his own half, an assistant side stepping into the other half to give the position of the free kick would be interesting.

Without sounding semantic, the offence is being offside IF you then interfere with play. Interfering is not the offence. In my understanding.

You were right, in practice most assistants don't bother and the teams will just get on with it.
Remember that a player may not become active until he's within his own half, an assistant side stepping into the other half to give the position of the free kick would be interesting.

tho, in such a case, you shouldn't flag for offside as a player can't be offside in his own half

A player can become active in his own half after coming back from an offside position in the oppositions half...

tho, in such a case, you shouldn't flag for offside as a player can't be offside in his own half

He's talking about a player who is offside in the opponent's half when the ball is played, but then moves back into his own half to play the ball himself.

yep...but he also mentions an offence and i'm saying that there isn't one

not sure if we're agreeing or disagreeing here but i do have one eye on karen carpenter so i'm not paying full attention :)

Straight from the LOTG
"
When an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick to be taken from the position of the offending player when the ball was last played to him by one of his team-mates."

Straight from the LOTG
"
When an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick to be taken from the position of the offending player when the ball was last played to him by one of his team-mates."

not if the player is interfering with an opponent, he isn't

Thanx hullref.
When an offside offense is occurs..... Translates to..... If a player is offside and interferes with play.

you're not alone, hull :)

Straight from the LOTG
"

all i meant to say was that, whilst the quote is indeed from the lotg, it doesn't cover situations where a player is given offside when the ball hasn't neccessarily been played to him by a team mate.....just being picky

It means that if the player is in an offside position when the ball was last played/touched to him by a team and then he goes on to interfere with play (ie. PIG) the free kick is taken from where he was when the ball was played not the place where he interferes with play.

It means that if the player is in an offside position when the ball was last played/touched to him by a team and then he goes on to interfere with play (ie. PIG) the free kick is taken from where he was when the ball was played not the place where he interferes with play.

so, whilst accepting what the lotg says and understanding your explanation, to take an unlikely scenario, player hits the ball down the right touch line, player in offside position by left hand side touchline crosses the entire pitch to 'pig', you are going to bring the free kick back over to the left hand touchline?

Flip it round then.
A player is offside in the attacking half, and goes back into the defensive half to receive the ball, interference.
The free kick should be in the attacking half.

Back