A&H

Oops.... made a mistake

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
During the U18 match i done recently, the home keeper took a goal kick and the ball was still in the goal area by some 4 yards,how he mis-kicked it i don't know, his defender kicked the ball back to him. I blew the whistle and awarded an indirect free kick to the opposing team, yes correct it should have been a re-take. Lucky for me no goal no advantage.Not one complaint from anybody so i guess their knowledge of the LOAF escaped them just like mine did.My defence? It was very cold,very windy with impending rain.

The Referee Store
At least you know what you did mate. We all make boo boos now and again!

:)

Wow, out of 22 U18 players + subs + coachs, no one knew the rule ??! I mean I did a U15 game one day and I saw the kids being very careful to let the ball go out of the area before playing it

I did a professional, English prem teams under 21s on the line and they were up in arms when they had to retake a freekick in their own penalty area because the ball was not kicked directly out of the area before being touched by another player.

All the usual nonsense. "It's not a goal kick Lino!" You would swear I had flagged a contentious offside by the reaction.

:rolleyes:

They had no idea. Professional team still don't have their players read the laws of the game.

Professional team still don't have their players read the laws of the game.

Sweeping generalisation, much beloved of refchat, alert

Perhaps they only study the laws that benefit their game. Strikers often seem pretty clued up on offside laws, for example,and ignore the 'what the feck does it matter' laws.

Perhaps

Sweeping generalisation, much beloved of refchat, alert

Perhaps they only study the laws that benefit their game. Strikers often seem pretty clued up on offside laws, for example,and ignore the 'what the feck does it matter' laws.

Perhaps

Random and wrong post alert! :D

My post relates to a specific team and incident. The goal keeper and defenders (and bench, supporters, rest of team) did not know the LOTG specific to that incident. They were clueless as to the LOTG.

Not a generalisation as it talked about one team. They displayed evidence which supports my statement. However, thank you for your interest in my post but you are talking rot in this instance!

Keep up @haywain. Get a berroca down you! :D

I did a professional, English prem teams under 21s on the line and they were up in arms when they had to retake a freekick in their own penalty area because the ball was not kicked directly out of the area before being touched by another player.

All the usual nonsense. "It's not a goal kick Lino!" You would swear I had flagged a contentious offside by the reaction.

:rolleyes:

They had no idea. Professional team still don't have their players read the laws of the game.

Had exactly the same a few years ago on Ryman U18s match.

I had the same situation last sunday in an under 18 game when the ball was played prior to leaving the area by a defender. Attacking team were appealing for it as I was blowing. They then rushed to grab the ball for a quick free kick whilst the defending team were automatically dropping back to defend their goal. When I advised it was a retake of the goal kick the attacking players were looking at me with open mouths and asking me surely it must be a free kick ref. So Mikedn I am not all surprised when no-one realised your mistake.
The other law which players seem to have no knowledge about aswell is same player playing the ball a second time without anybody else touching it when it has rebounded off the woodwork from a penalty or corner kick. I have had both these occur this season and the looks of amazement and scratching of heads that happen are quite staggering. The corner kick one especially needed much explanation until one of the coaches piped up that I think the ref might be right lads.

A colleague told me Sunday that on his Saturday match there has been a penalty which was kicked against the cross bar and was heading straight back to the taker. The taker obviously knew the laws of the game here because he ducked out the way and a teamate ran onto the ball and volleyed it in! Genius.

Making the LOTG work for you!

Its amazing how the same things come up again and again - yes I've had the corner kick one AND coach was only one who knew why it was FK.

Not had penalty hit woodwork and back to taker happen to me yet though!

My post relates to a specific team and incident. The goal keeper and defenders (and bench, supporters, rest of team) did not know the LOTG specific to that incident.

Good try, monkey, but I can't help noticing that you added 'specific to that incident' in that hook-riddling response....having referred to players not reading the laws (plural) of the game

Hope you've had a caffeine-fuelled day, too ;)

lol only added that because of what you said around certain positions only knowing certain laws.... :D

And my op was a specific incident....

A colleague told me Sunday that on his Saturday match there has been a penalty which was kicked against the cross bar and was heading straight back to the taker. The taker obviously knew the laws of the game here because he ducked out the way and a teamate ran onto the ball and volleyed it in! Genius.

Making the LOTG work for you!

I saw that !! A game of League One if I'm correct

Nice work by the striker after what is a terrible penalty! :)

That was never a dogso though. Away from goal, very wide angle, defender sprinting back.... Little harsh

Nice work by the striker after what is a terrible penalty! :)

How a few centimetres can make the difference between Zinedine Zidane on WC final and Ian Henderson on League One :p
I agree with you on the dogso, should be yellow imho

Also same match,same defender,also same keeper the defender kicks ball back to keeper and he picks it up and i blow the whistle for an IFK the defender looks at me and says "What's that for?" Needless to say one of his team mates informed him why in no uncertain terms.
What amazes me is that the LOAF can be downloaded online and its FREE.... for everyone

Back