A&H

Open Goal and The Bird

I woudln't send him off... I'd book him for USB, but giving another player the finger isn't a red. Otherwise I'd be sending people off for telling anothe player to eff off.

Tell it to me and that's a whole other matter.

The Referee Store
Given there are 22+ players, spectators and in all likelihood members of the public using the facilities the chances of it being 'offensive to someone' is very high. In my local area there is a ' faith' league and referees are instructed to dismiss for ALL foul language. This may not be deemed offensive by some but the county FA support this stance so it does suggest that 'most or all' foul language is deemed offensive.
The County FA may support the stance of this faith league but I expect that everyone entering that league is aware of the level at which "foul" language may be deemed offensive however this is a different argument to your original assertion that
USE OF ANY FOUL LANGUAGE IS AGAINST THE LOTG!
This is simply wrong. If you as a referee are offended (or believe that others are offended) by a player mis-kicking the ball and saying "bloody hell" then you can dismiss them under the LOTG but it is not correct to say that use of such language is "AGAINST THE LOTG". Likewise if a player screams "You effing c***" in your face then if you do not think that this is offensive, insulting or abusive then there is nothing in Law to say that you must dismiss (I am not for a moment suggesting that you shouldn't - I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't), just that under the LOTG you don't have to.

Genteel Hampshire .... it's a different world down there isn't?! :rolleyes:

Coming from the posh Herts boy :p

But seriously, quite clearly the law was changed because foul language is not the same as offensive insulting or abusive. Saying F Off is foul language, but its not offensive.

Coming from the posh Herts boy :p

But seriously, quite clearly the law was changed because foul language is not the same as offensive insulting or abusive. Saying F Off is foul language, but its not offensive.
Except for those occasions when it is offensive of course :)

There is saying F off and there is telling someone to F off. Context can make it offensive.

If 'Law 18' is common sense, 'Law 19' should be 'Retaining Match Control'

It would read as 1 sentence:

"Finally, feel free to disregard any of the laws in full or part at any time, solely to retain 'match control'.

Load of BS.

In answer to the OP I'd be stopping and giving indirect fk before he scored, minimum yellow, red if I thought there was any venom or malice whatsoever.

Given there are 22+ players, spectators and in all likelihood members of the public using the facilities the chances of it being 'offensive to someone' is very high. In my local area there is a ' faith' league and referees are instructed to dismiss for ALL foul language. This may not be deemed offensive by some but the county FA support this stance so it does suggest that 'most or all' foul language is deemed offensive.
I disagree. The FA are simply supporting their 'right' to issue....'clarification' on how they want a law interpreted.

The reason I raise my point was because invariably there is always 'banter' between players. I dismissed a player several seasons ago for calling a opposing player a w*&#*r and the player it was called was asking me not to dismiss. It turned out they worked together and were taking the mickey out of each other all game.

And to Capn Bloodbeard- given how passionate you are about the rules I fully expect that any use of foul language, even if it's industrial, you are dismissing the player- AFTER ALL USE OF ANY FOUL LANGUAGE IS AGAINST THE LONG!

No, it's not. The fact that the LOTG changed from 'foul and abusive' to 'OFFINABUS' was done, among other things, to reflect the fact that foul language is largely in common vernacular and these days has largely lost its offensive context, so it permits referees discretion. Foul language may be offensive, it may not be. Referee is now permitted to make a judgement call.

To state that the LOTG require foul language to result in a red card is absolutely wrong.

Personally I think a red card for 'w****r' is quite harsh, but maybe that's cultural difference

Anyway, I presume we're all now in agreement that the goal can't stand :)

11gC4odpiRKuha.gif

I'll try to drag this one back to the OP ... disallow (if the ball had made it to the goal) and dismiss for OFFINABUS.

Regarding not doing this in order to retain match control, what about the goalkeeper what is his reaction going to be? He's not going to be happy at conceding a goal and even less happy as having someone use an offensive gesture towards him.

@haywain @Padfoot @CapnBloodbeard you are all correct.

@Declan sorry but you are wrong.

Refereeing isn't hard, just do the job right and it gets easier.

I apologise. The consensus here is I'm a terrible referee and for that I also apologise. I merely attempted to raise a hypothetical situation and just dug myself deeper.

The only feasible scenario I could see this happening is if there was banter happening all game long between goalscorer and goalkeeper. That is why I raised that point. I now realise that banter has nothing to do with it. If he does it bin him.

Anyway given the consensus it maybe time that I call it a day and pack it in rather than muddy the good name of referees worldwide.

I apologise. The consensus here is I'm a terrible referee and for that I also apologise. I merely attempted to raise a hypothetical situation and just dug myself deeper.

The only feasible scenario I could see this happening is if there was banter happening all game long between goalscorer and goalkeeper. That is why I raised that point. I now realise that banter has nothing to do with it. If he does it bin him.

Anyway given the consensus it maybe time that I call it a day and pack it in rather than muddy the good name of referees worldwide.
Well refereeing isn't for everyone @Declan. Maybe your forté is stand up comedy or in the world of medical research. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

;)

Thanks for the support eh! I might as well bugger off into the sunset!

For the record I never actually said I would not dismiss merely attempted(admittedly badly) would there be a case for not dismissing. As I said I was wrong to raise this.

Yes refereeing is simple. Yes I stick to the laws. And no- I do not make them up as I go along. 19 years, promotion to level 5 and many semi finals and finals later prove that.

There was no need to be vilified for me raising it!

Thanks for the support eh! I might as well bugger off into the sunset!

For the record I never actually said I would not dismiss merely attempted(admittedly badly) would there be a case for not dismissing. As I said I was wrong to raise this.

There was no need to be vilified for me raising it!
In order to learn from your mistakes you have to make some first. Better to make them on an online forum than out in the field. Quit beating yourself up.

Back