A&H

Orange Card?

jordan clarkson

Jordan Clarkson.
Level 5 Referee
whats everyone's thoughts on this orange card rubbish?Personally i dislike the idea, i dont think it will work?whats everyone else's views?

The Referee Store
like a sin-bin type of punishment, like the Rugby league, Spend 10 minutes in the sinbin etc. i read about it online.

It will not work at grassroots we would need assistants on the touchline just for it to work

It is up for discussion at IFAB apparantly, but I've yet to meet anyone who thinks it's a good idea!

Would need an official to manage it during the game, which at top level would be 4th Official, at grassroots level would probably be a Granny walking her dog.

For those who don't think it's a good idea, perhaps you can sell me a sensible argument about how a foul, deserving of a caution against one team, can ultimately benefit another team when the player in question serves his one match suspension.

The reason why is how at grassroots will we be able to manage the sin bin we would need at least a full man team to do it

For those who don't think it's a good idea, perhaps you can sell me a sensible argument about how a foul, deserving of a caution against one team, can ultimately benefit another team when the player in question serves his one match suspension.

A caution is a punishment for the offender, not an advantage for the opposition. The offended against team gain a free kick, or penalty for the offence and therefore directly receive an advantage at the time if the incident.

A suspension for accumulation of cards, is also punishment and the offending player misses a game or more, his team loses him from selection (presumably, a 'regular' in the first team as he will have played in at least five games) and are therefore, in theory, weakened.

While i can understand the thought-process where you are coming from, I think you are approaching it as 'giving an advantage to' and not 'disciplining'. A suspension for accumulationg the cards is purely disciplinary, and not to give an advantage - as said, the advantage given for the individual offences is handled at the time of the offence.

Accumulatory discipline is designed to punish regular offenders, and also their clubs for not keeping them in line.

sending somebody off. it will only make referees weaker

A quick google brings up this as an example, from the bbc sport site

'Champagne suggests players could be sin-binned for two or three minutes for "in-between fouls committed in the heat of the moment".

He cited the example of a player who had already been booked then receiving a second yellow card for taking off his shirt to celebrate a goal.'

Beyond that, do we actually know what is on the table for discussion in terms of red card v sinbin.....isn't it more a case of yellow card v sinbin?

edit to add

googled sin bin on fifa site and came up with this document from 2009 where irish FA propose sin-bin as an alternative to yellow cards (page 12).

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/ifab/01/02/18/76/2009-12-ifabagenda2009-e.pdf

Last edited:
You're right HW, it is more a yellow card thing, but still, it would only really be feasible at levels of the game where there are at least three officials. At grassroots, there is no way it can be managed effectively during the game.

If IFAB identify those "in-between fouls committed in the heat of the moment", it can be left to the discretion of the referee if a player is already on a YC. Currently, removing the shirt to celebrate is a mandatory card, if it became discretionary then noone would get a second yellow for it.

However, the mandatory cards are just that, mandatory, and I personally get fed up when people say "Surely the ref could have exercised common sense" or, "ref sent him off for removing his shirt, how ridiculous!" because, in fact, he cautioned the player for removing his shirt - the player got himself sent off lol.

Back