A&H

Pen / card skins

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
Contemplating getting some card skins from refs world ...

One question - what do you guys use to write on them?

Cheers

The Referee Store
I've used pencil, Sharpie and power tank pens on mine. Pencil was fine, Sharpie the best (but you need a fine point) and the power tank was okay. Would probably rank it as Sharpie, Power tank, pencil.
All three wiped away cleanly with nail varnish remover and I also tested toothpaste. Nail varnish is the more cost effective solution!

Normal deodorant works fine too. Ive found a sharpie, fine tip is probably best, but as above pencil and power tank pens work just fine

Normal deodorant works fine too. Ive found a sharpie, fine tip is probably best, but as above pencil and power tank pens work just fine
Not tried deodorant. Are you talking roll on or spray? And do they smell nicer with male or female brands?

Normal spray on deodorant. Depends if you prefer lynx africa or impulse really mate :p :D

Powertank Pen i have found seems to work best. Don't be using Lynx, far too expensive. This stuff seems to work:
asda-smart-price-anti-perspirant-deodorant.jpg

I've tried the power tank, not a 100% solution for me. Doesn't always work. A 4B pencil is my preference

i've stopped using my skins at the moment as i have the power tank pen and doesnt seem to write on them very well, need to invest in a better pen i think

i've stopped using my skins at the moment as i have the power tank pen and doesnt seem to write on them very well, need to invest in a better pen i think
No pen will really work on these. A sharpie will, but not sure how that performs in the rain. A soft/bold (4B) pencil is the best for me. It leaves bold markings that are easy to read.

I've used pencil, Sharpie and power tank pens on mine. Pencil was fine, Sharpie the best (but you need a fine point) and the power tank was okay. Would probably rank it as Sharpie, Power tank, pencil.
All three wiped away cleanly with nail varnish remover and I also tested toothpaste. Nail varnish is the more cost effective solution!
how good was the tloothpaste, a new one on me

where do you keep your pencil (oooh errr) during the game?
At least with the pens you can clip them in your shirt pocket

where do you keep your pencil (oooh errr) during the game?
At least with the pens you can clip them in your shirt pocket

I use the refsworld pencil, as @Ross suggest, but only as backup. I find it a bit too small to grab in the heat of the moment. I have bought pencil clips like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twelve-Faultless-Pen-Pencil-Pocket-Clips-Dclips-/151571570958
I then buy a 4B pencil, saw off 5 cm and then sharpen it. That way I have a custom fit for my ref kit pencil with the softness (4B) I have found to be optimal. (I also tried with 2B, but found 4B to be better)

As you can see, I really bring a certain nerdiness to my equipment :)

how good was the tloothpaste, a new one on me
Toothpaste was very effective but needed a bit too much water to clear off afterwards. Toothpaste is quite abrasive and contains sugar alcohols, such as glycerol but I don't know if these are the active ingredients in play here.
At least your cards will smell like Colgate afterwards.

I use the refsworld pencil, as @Ross suggest, but only as backup. I find it a bit too small to grab in the heat of the moment. I have bought pencil clips like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twelve-Faultless-Pen-Pencil-Pocket-Clips-Dclips-/151571570958
I then buy a 4B pencil, saw off 5 cm and then sharpen it. That way I have a custom fit for my ref kit pencil with the softness (4B) I have found to be optimal. (I also tried with 2B, but found 4B to be better)

As you can see, I really bring a certain nerdiness to my equipment :)
Those clips look a good idea for reuse.
I shouldn't say this out loud but my referee tutor gave us this advice for pencils - go to Argos!
(I guess that means very little in Oslo but the Brits will understand)

Back