A&H

Penalty claim: Newcastle v Southampton

Your take?

• Penalty

• NO Penalty

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Referee Store
Tough one as from when I watched it, it looked like he was bringing the arms into the body, rather than putting them out to intentionally block the ball. I think the ref got it right although I only say the having seen the replays and in real time I can imagine it being given.

Think it's harsh to give that... 5 yards away and ball is smashed at him... But his arm is in an unnatural position and the only reason it would be there is to make himself bigger to block the shot... I'd have given the penalty I think

Think it's harsh to give that... 5 yards away and ball is smashed at him... But his arm is in an unnatural position and the only reason it would be there is to make himself bigger to block the shot... I'd have given the penalty I think

My feeling is that it's up there as a instinct to protect the face: he's turning his face away, and look how quickly he pulls his hands down. That makes me think it isn't deliberate handling

"protect the face" never have and never will understand this argument, you're allowed to use your head/face!!!

Meaning it's not against the laws, the line "protecting my face" is one of my pet hates from players. So much so it should be classed as OFFINABUS, but we all know that some people wouldn't find the language used offensive ;):p

"protect the face" never have and never will understand this argument, you're allowed to use your head/face!!!

You might be allowed to use your face, but that doesn't mean you won't sustain a serious injury if you use your nose to stop a football travelling at up to 80mph! l think that's pretty easy to understand!

and there's no chance of sustaining serious injury if a ball were to hit your wrist or hand at that speed?

I've been involved in football since I was about 4. I'm 13 years I've seen more broken wrists than noses

I quite agree, but if youve played for that long you would also know that instict comes into it, that you would protect your face more so than your wrist. Thats all :)

Still can't buy the argument Herts sorry, stand up to a cross, keep your hands down behind your back/by your side. If need be, take one to the face.

Still can't buy the argument Herts sorry, stand up to a cross, keep your hands down behind your back/by your side. If need be, take one to the face.

If its within a certain distance it is very hard to not throw your hands to your face. I can understand Pros maybe must have more self control, but I also played to a fairly high standard and still gave away 2 or 3 penalties (was a CB) where a ball was coming at me at 80 odd MPH from 5 yards away where ive automatically thrown my hands to my face. Instinct.

Herts on Tuesday I saw a referee give a pen too Fulham for someone from wolves defence for trying to protect his face

Back