A&H

Penalty or not 2

Mick.

RefChat Addict
Bit of a grumpy match with lots of questioning of my decisions by one red player. Stepped approach with quiet word, public word and finally public word with captain involved before he finally shut up. Most of his problems seemed to be that he was seeing handball everytime the ball touched someone whereas I was satisfied that each time there was no deliberate touching.
However the point of this thread which caused a bit of a problem was a foul inside the box. Blues were attacking and a blue player is fouled just outside the box. He stays on his feet and keeps the ball at his feet. My arms are just coming up as I get as far as being about to shout "Play on" when the player passes over the Penalty Area and is fouled again, this time going to ground. I blow and give a penalty. As far as I am concerned, the first foul was being given advantage and the second foul stopped the game. Had there not been a second foul advantage would have continued to whatever conclusion. Unbelievably, red start appealing that if I thought that the first one was a foul, I should have given that (outside the box) rather than the second. Was I right to give it, even though I hadn't actually called for the advantage, or should I have gone back to the original foul as there was no real advantage in the end?

The Referee Store
You were right. They advantage that they got was that they could carry on and got fouled again.

MIck you were right to give the penalty. One tip I picked up when I was an AR was that the referee always waited a few seconds before making a decision to see what advantage could be taken.

As you have said you were about to play the advantage when the attacking player was fouled again and therefore stopped play you have no option to stop play and give the foul that stopped play as there was no clear advantage and in this case resulted in a penalty.

Sounds like you got it spot on. Have been told at training sessions on numerous occasions to wait and see if play develops for 2-3 seconds. Players often react instantly but understand when you remind them of this, especially if play goes on and they score.

Thanks fellas. I have to say that I thought that I gave it right, but your comments do remind me that my decisions (even in giving the advantage) may sometimes be a bit hasty. I must admit that I probably don't give time after the event to make my decision before I blow. I think that I may blow (or otherwise) a bit quick.

At the start of this season (when I had just passed) I was probably a bit like you blowing the whistle at any hint of a foul without any consideration for the advantage. I feel that it comes from the experience of refereeing and it will take you some time to know when you will feel if there is an advantage to be had or not, as we said earlier take 2-3 seconds after to see if there is any advantage to be had or not. The teams will thank you for pulling it back for not gaining an advantage or letting it go when they know they have an advantage.

I hope this helps you.

Yes same went for me I did not start applying advantage till I felt confident enough to judge it and to apply it safely within the traffic light system
red blow the whistle
Yellow apply advantage but becarefull with other tackles going in midfield
Green apply advantage but bring it back if needed

Sounds like you got that spot on, just because you never got to signal the first advantage, doesn't invalidate the advantage that the player got.

We are also told to count to three before signalling, whether it is an advantage or a whistle.

I have found that clear strong signal and shout "ADVANTAGE" works best, but once I have given it, I rarely, if ever pull it back.(I was told not to shout 'Play On')

If I decide there is no advantage two or three seconds after the foul, toot on the whistle and a clear 'No advantage, free kick' from me helps. I think most players appreciate it, and understand that you are simply trying to let play flow and not just blowing late - which could be misinterpreted as indecision, or reacting to the appeals.

Niggly, nasty games get fewer advantages from me, because I think I need to get them under control.

Having said that, it took an immense amount of willpower from me not to punch the air and shout 'YESSS!" when an advantage I played resulted in a goal - didn't think that would go down to well with the defending team.

You got there, but by a circuitous route.

If a player fouls an opponent outside the area, and continues to foul inside the area (think pulling a shirt, starts outside continues in) it is a penalty. That is written in the law book too. Another way to sell it.

There is a video around somewhere on the 'net of Everton v Manchester United. Alan Stubbs (I think) grabs Ole Solsjkaer's shirt outside the area and continues pulling him as they run into the area. Penalty and red card. Best example I can thinkoff.

If only it had been that simple Tealeaf. Unfortunately (?) it was a foul by player outside the box followed by a foul by a different player inside.

Ahh thats easy. Penalty irrespective. Caution the penalty foul too to sell it as more serious than the other one.

On the subject of waiting before you blow for a foul, watch Phil Dowd. He often waits a good 2 seconds, even after the most blatant foul before he calls play back for the free kick.

Back