A&H

Penalty shoot out

So you aren't comfortable with a referee changing the AR responsibilities as set out, but you you are comfortable ignoring the signal (raising the flag) that is expressly set out?

IMHO, the AR duties are designed for high levels of competency. I don't think it is inappropriate for a R with less experienced/skilled ARs to adjust the roles. (But need to be careful not to fall into the "my game!!" trap.)
Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible!) the LOTG simply say that ARs should "indicate" to the referee. This doesn't have to be achieved by raising the flag.

@RustyRef , if a referee advised his ARs to hold their position if they felt there was encroachment and then 'blanked' them, for me that's just bad teamwork from him rather than a flawed pre match instruction per se

@socal lurker, I'm a big fan of amending an AR's role to take account of their competency. However most usually I'd achieve this by minimising (not removing!) their input on fouls to free up head space for the already fairly complex task of offside / ball in and out.

The Referee Store
Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible!) the LOTG simply say that ARs should "indicate" to the referee. This doesn't have to be achieved by raising the flag.

Page 212:

If the goalkeeper blatantly moves off the goal line before the ball is kicked and a goal is not scored, the AR must raise the flag.

Page 212:

If the goalkeeper blatantly moves off the goal line before the ball is kicked and a goal is not scored, the AR must raise the flag.
That's cool. If the encroachment is truly "blatant" (ie blindingly obvious for all to see) then the AR can raise his flag every day of the week (and do a jig on the spot for all I care :)). I'm discussing the (far more frequent) occurrence when any GK encroachment is more subtle. An AR raising his flag in these latter cases is effectively giving the referee no room for maneouvre ... whereas simply standing your ground can still effectively communicate your opinion but more to assist the referee in making the final decision

Back