A&H

Penalty shoot out

Frank

Level 5 Referee
Should the referee toss the coin to decide which end a penalty shoot out will take place, or should he inform both captains which end they will be taken from?

The Referee Store
Lotg says the second though the first makes more sense in competitive terms, given that there may be a perceived advantage one way or the other

Long list of things to think about when choosing which end to have the penalties at - including:
  • state of the penalty mark
  • where the sun is
  • likelihood of getting the ball back if a player balloons it over the bar!
Anyone else got any others !?

I asked because I was sure it was the second, and I wondered why the penalty shoot out at Anfield took place at the Kop end.

I asked because I was sure it was the second, and I wondered why the penalty shoot out at Anfield took place at the Kop end.
Been told, by a referee that has had to listen to such instructions, that in big-crowd professional matches the police are often the ones that decide what end they are taken at.

*cough* kicks from the penalty mark *cough* and yes, it's the ref's choice which side you take the kicks from. The coin toss allows the winning captain to choose whether or not to kick first.

Reactions: SM
Back