A&H

penalty shootout

Mark1734

hi all,

did my 2nd tournament yesterday, it was 7 a side disability football, the standard was really good.

it was my 10th and final match, semi final, ended up going to penalty shootout, my first one.

all was going well, the team kicking first missed their 5th penalty, so up step the 2nd team, a goal would win it for them,

they take the kick, clips the post and ends up behind the net,
panic stations I didn't see which side of the post it went, their was a hole in the side netting that I didn't check first which us a lesson hard learnt.

1.team celebrated they scored and won and the other team celebrating that the team had missed.

both coaches told me they didn't see if it went in or not,

hand on heart I didnt see it, it probably went in due to how it ended up behind the net but I couldn't be certain.

I asked the player to retake it and asked a ref from another game to stand next to the goalie,

the retake went in with no issues,

was the retake the right call ?, it was my 2nd tournament since doing the ref course, so was unsure but did what I thought was right.

bit of arguing at the end but not too much

hard lesson learned I think

has anyone had something like this occur before?

The Referee Store
There is no right answer to your question.

Giving them a retake means you gave them a roughly 75% chance of winning the game compared to a 50% chance had it been a miss. So there is a question on if this is fair.

Obviously either of your other options (give the original shot a goal or a miss) would not be fair either hence my very first comment.

As you said already, lesson learnt.

Last edited:
From a technical LOTG perspective, there is no basis for a retake and the R has to make a decision. Here in the real world, what you did worked. And as noted, lessons learned and move on.

In my experience of tournament football, some of the goals that we are expected to use are not really fit for purpose!

Plastic 8' x 6' goals that are usually only used for under 10s and below, suddenly having under 15 / 16s smashing shots at them for multiple matches (and in between). Also clubs might have to find 6 or 7 sets of goals, having only used 2 or 3 pairs all season!

In general, we just have to get on with it, and with that taken into account I think that you reached a 'fair' outcome.

Having thought about this a little more I would like to change the question in the OP from was what I did right to what would you do in this situation after having made the the mistake of not checking/fixing the nets?

My answer is, with the benefit of hindsight, make a quick decision of goal or no goal and sell the hell out of it with no signs of doubt.

There's no way law supports having it retaken, it either went in or it didn't. All you can really do is make an decision that is going to please one team and annoy the other.

But best to do it in this type of game and learn how important net checks are.

From the penalty mark I can’t see how the ball can clip the post and end up behind the net if it did not go in. Clip it on the outside and its going well away from the goal.
Also while checking the nets is vital positioning is even more important. I once repaired a net before kick off and a ball struck the very knot and broke it going through the net by some distance. I was well positioned to give it. While technical staff complained that it had to go wide I was in no doubt from my position it was in plus the reactions of the players confirmed to me that I made the right decision.
FWIW the only decision in law is to record a goal or a miss. Based on the description I would have gone with the goat.

My answer is, with the benefit of hindsight, make a quick decision of goal or no goal and sell the hell out of it with no signs of doubt.
That was my gut instinct too, and given the xG for a penalty is 0.76 I'd go with a goal unless I absolutely knew it was a miss.

Back