A&H

Player refusing to approach you

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
You stop play to caution a player. You call him and he ignores you. You call numerous times and he refuses to speak to you. What action do you take?

The Referee Store
Continue with whistle blowing and warn him loudly game will not restart until you've spoken to him. Failing that bring captain in and warn him if he doesn't get player over you'll be showing him a card trick that finishes in a red.
Failing that I'd follow through with the promise and bin him.

It would be very important for me to show you're taking a firm line, no messing around or your match control would be history.

I'd have the yellow card up in the air and be saying loudly "that's the caution for (whatever he did), if you don't come to me now it will be a further caution for dissent by action and a misconduct report for failing to provide your name"

If that doesn't get him moving, nothing will.

Did the "what's his name then skipper" and that got his whole team shouting "get over to the ref [name] for f's sake".

"Captain, so far it's a yellow for the (takle?), does he want a second or can I ask you for his name please"

Got his number so can compare to the team sheet if needs be.

Start of every game when I have the captains in the last thing I say is that I dont want to be chasing players around the field, I dont want to talk to the back/sides of peoples head - and if I have to ask three times its a three card trick.

...Never once had a player not come over within the first 2 - as the captain (even when its the keeper as captain) will always jump in.

Added in the "side/back of head" in recently, as I found lots of them will come over for the chat and then either turn their backs to listen to you - or stare off into the distance.

I follow this up with "I fully advise you to take this matter seriously and look me in the face".

You'll get an eye roll and they'll comply - but like @RegalRef said, its really important to put this line in the sand.

I always make a bit of over dramatics for the first card now too - especially if its for dissent.

Back