A&H

playing in fog

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
Hi guys a bit of feedback needed on the above.
So what are guidelines towards playing in fog? Bear in mind the following:
- by time we kicked off there were splendid sunshine
- the pitch marking were faint as we started
- park game, maintained by local council.
Start of second half it started to get dark and patchy fog starting to appear, and during the worst bit, standing on edge of PA i could still see the opposite goal, albeit i couldn't make make out any of the markings.
Losing team players and manager are now appealing for abandonment, i kept going and 10 minutes from full time the fog starts to lift...

The Referee Store
The Referee Store
If you can't see the goal frame at one end of the field while standing on the goal line (under the crossbar) at the other end, it's too foggy and it's time to go home.

The Referee Store
Sounds alright to me.

Could you see the pitch markings from the opposite PA with no fog?

Perhaps I need my eyes testing! :confused::cool:

@Brian Hamilton I didn't go as far as the goal line, good advice for next time.
@RegalRef pitch marking were faint in broad daylight... Never mind in fog.

Anyway thanks for the reply, as usual a fountain of wisdom.

i thought if you stood on the half way line and could see both goals it was ok?
Back in the 90s yes, but someone pointed out that if the keeper collected the ball at a corner and kicked it, the ball disappeared into the fog and you had no idea what was happening. Current advice is goal frame to goal frame.

Back in the 90s yes, but someone pointed out that if the keeper collected the ball at a corner and kicked it, the ball disappeared into the fog and you had no idea what was happening. Current advice is goal frame to goal frame.
i thought it was still 1995 sorry brian!

goal line to goal line!

afternoon game on Sunday ... 5 minutes after the final whistle I couldn't see the half way line! let alone the other goal lol

You need to try and second guess local conditions.

Ryman U18 eve game last season, fog was coming and going. Halfway through 1st half I couldn't see all the way across the pitch (I was AR), so we stopped. 10 mins later it was clear, so we carried on and finished the match.

You need to try and second guess local conditions.

Ryman U18 eve game last season, fog was coming and going. Halfway through 1st half I couldn't see all the way across the pitch (I was AR), so we stopped. 10 mins later it was clear, so we carried on and finished the match.

That's always been my benchmark, across the FOP, if the a/r can't clearly id the defenders or attackers on the far side because of fog, failed light or indeed heavy rain or snow, it's a good time to stop. Possible improvement or no possible improvement should be indicated by suspension or immediate abandonment of play

Back