A&H

Poland v Senegal

The Referee Store
How’s the ref been? I’m on yellows & just leaving work.

Let me guess you need to smash sum1 in half to get a yellow

Absolute rubbish from commentator - Lewandowski taken down outside the area, ref rightly gives a yellow for SPA. Covering defender so no DOGSO. Commentator says “it’s an honest attempt for the ball, so it’s a yellow”. Absolute rubbish.

Good performance so far from the ref, AR2 looks about 13

Last edited:
Absolute rubbish from commentator - Lewandowski taken down outside the area, ref rightly gives a yellow for SPA. Covering defender so no DOGSO. Commentator says “it’s an honest attempt for the ball, so it’s a yellow”. Absolute rubbish.

Good performance so far from the red, AR2 looks about 13

Just heard that and laughed. Referees aren’t helped by pundits and commentators who give their opinions without knowing the rules

2 uses of VAR. One clearly right - no offside on the goal.

The other looks to be a clear dive, unpunished by referee. Can the VAR *physically* do anything here, as result would just be a yellow card?

No. Only if the referee gave a PK could he then change his decision and give a yellow.

Cheers for that, do find it somewhat odd that the ref would have to make a wrong decision as it were before that could happen but hey, guess it would only complicate things.

2 uses of VAR. One clearly right - no offside on the goal.

The other looks to be a clear dive, unpunished by referee. Can the VAR *physically* do anything here, as result would just be a yellow card?
The VAR can cheat here to get the right outcome. Suggest a review for a penalty. That is whithin the protocol. Once the referee reviews the footage and sees no penalty but a dive he can caution for it.

I don't think that process would go down too well with VAR critics though.

How about bin VAR give ref’s & Lino’s full responsibility & enjoy the World Cup!

Iv'e been to Senegal last year.... Massive country that wraps itself around Gambia... I had the pleasure of walking with two female Lions in a wildlife park (2 yards away), no chains, no tethering, thankfully fed, humbling and once in a lifetime experience really. The bits of the country that I saw were pretty bleak!! Haven't seen the game as ive been travelling all day but thanks for the updates above!!!

The second Senegal goal brought back bad memories for me. I allowed an injured player back on the FOP without proper consideration. The play was simultaneously turned over and my man intercepted the ball in a promising position
I know this was wrong in Law, but I immediately stopped the game on realizing I was in the brown stuff (based on 'spirit of the game'). Players weren't happy, but I didn't get lynched
I considered this a regrettable experience, but not misplaced for a first season referee
A FIFA referee however, inexcusable

The second Senegal goal brought back bad memories for me. I allowed an injured player back on the FOP without proper consideration. The play was simultaneously turned over and my man intercepted the ball in a promising position
I know this was wrong in Law, but I immediately stopped the game on realizing I was in the brown stuff (based on 'spirit of the game'). Players weren't happy, but I didn't get lynched
I considered this a regrettable experience, but not misplaced for a first season referee
A FIFA referee however, inexcusable

What is the problem here exactly? He was off the FOP as had been attended by the medical staff. Play had recommenced and he was rightly waved on; he rejoined from where he went off. All that is ok in Law. That Poland chose that moment to execute what can only be described as a kamikaze back pass is neither the fault of the referee or Senegal.
No issues with the goal IMO.

Think of it this way. You are ref or 4th. Ball and play is where it is
Player is at half way line ready to come on
"Ref can i go on" he says
Are you really going to say " no not just yet, there is a chance that Poland guy who is shooting that way is about to leather the ball 50 yards back to his own goalie"

Of course not, ball is in about as neutral area as you could wish for.

Back