A&H

Polar RS400 Foot Pod

SteveAustinRef

Level 7 Referee
I have a RS400 complete with Foot Pod, which measures distance run.

I want to use it along with the heart rate monitor to get a more complete picture of my refereeing activity on the pitch.

The problem is I can't wear the Foot Pod on my boots as it will be easily noticed, by assessors.

I had an idea of wearing it on my arm held on by a sports armband under my shirt. I have tested it and it seems to work.

I was just wondering if anyone else uses a Foot Pod and if you have another idea on how to use it.

The Referee Store
Is there anything in law which says you can't wear it. Your not going to be tackling players - so why are you worried ?
I've worn it during a game before a few players commented at the start and that's it

The foot pods for Polar models are precisely that. They won't work if you don't have them attached to your shoe as they are calibrateld for your stride etc to give you the information you are looking for.

I'd say just wear it as it is intended. I know of plenty of officials at high levels who do and none have ever had any comment. In fact if an assessor were to comment you've obviously had a fantastic game as it's the only thing they have noticed!

Personally, I've gone down the GPS route with the Polar RCX5 and wear the GPS in an armband when refereeing or on the line.

Last edited:
I get more questions from players than from other officials regarding my RS400 foot pod. I tell them it's my tag as I'm only out on licence at weekends just to see their faces!

You can wear it on your boot as I doubt an assessor would question it. They would probably be interested in just how far you cover in a game. This assessor typically covers 10.5k but has managed more than 12.5k when pushed this season.

Back