Match #15
Portugal v Ghana
Thursday, 24 November 2022
19:00 local time (16:00 GMT)
Doha

Referee: Ismail Elfath (USA)

Assistant Referee 1: Kyle Atkins (USA)
Assistant Referee 2: Corey Parker (USA)
Fourth Official: Stéphanie Frappart (FRA)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Karen Diaz Medina (MEX)
Video Assistant Referee: Armando Villarreal (USA)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Drew Fischer (CAN)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Alessandro Giallatini (ITA)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Shaun Evans (AUS)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Elvis Noupue (CMR)

The Referee Store
Pushing foul by Ronaldo correctly called in my view before he put it in the net.
If the referee had not blown, it would have been interesting to see if VAR would have considered it a clear and obvious error. I think VAR should have intervened on this one if the referee had not done so.

Er haven’t they just missed an obvious Portugal penalty 42 mins… what have they seen there?
Are you talking about the kick on the sliding player? I thought it could be a foul however it falls short of the 'careless' criterion imo which is an entirely subjective criterion. I disagree that it is obvious.

Are you talking about the kick on the sliding player? I thought it could be a foul however it falls short of the 'careless' criterion imo which is an entirely subjective criterion. I disagree that it is obvious.
In the box, attacker plays ball, defender is sliding and late and makes obvious clear contact with moderate force. Attacker highlights the foul with slight exaggeration. It’s a nailed on VAR c&o penalty. So easy.

Must go down as a massive mistake by the officials. IMHO of course;)

So Ronaldo is in clear view of this obvious PK from two yards away and he (and the traditionally dissent heavy Portugal team) don't say a single word about it.

Right.

very unusual quick yellows by this ref. Not 100% sure Ayew even knows he was booked there

Don’t think we will see this referee again. First I’ve seen an official not have control this tournament.
Seidus not a first booking but should have have had at least a second.

Not a penalty for me either

I’ve only watched part, but I dont agree about lack of control from what I’ve seen.

But I ag about the PK being soft. I’m not surprised it wasn’t sent down, but it’s the softest PK I can think of so far.

Not a foul for the penalty. I'm not seeing anything careless from the defender and watch how Ronaldo leaves his right foot in to exaggerate the contact, clearest from the rear angle. However I agree it is not one for VAR because it is not an obvious error.

Last edited:
I’ve only watched part, but I dont agree about lack of control from what I’ve seen.

But I ag about the PK being soft. I’m not surprised it wasn’t sent down, but it’s the softest PK I can think of so far.
Perhaps poor wording on my part. More players surrounding with both incidents

To be honest, this game showed both the best and the worst of my compatriot. He was very consistent, even if his foul bar was lower than a lot of games. I was fine with the penalty after seeing it on replay based on how he was calling the game. But he spent too much time trying to manage his way out of things instead of just going to his cards. Thought his management of the Ronaldo penalty kick took too long and allowed him to look pretty weak.

I’d probably give him a 5.5 or 6 overall. He can be really good, but this wasn’t one of his better matches.

Didn't think it was a penalty in real time, but think it's one of those where VAR will back the on field referee which ever way they give it.

Staggering lapse of concentration by the Portuguese keeper. After his best Pickford impression, he then went full Given which almost resulted in an equaliser!

Nightmare for colourblind viewers with Portugal in Red & Green and the Ghana keep in a green.

Last edited:
Saw this live and the PK was right in front of us. As soon as PK was given I said soft and even some Portugal fans agreed with me. To be fair the ref had a good angled view.

I didn't like how he gave the yellows. A couple from 15m away and another while player injured on the ground.

Ronarcissit cheating for PK and Officials/VAR unable/unwilling to identify it for what it is
Makes me sick

Back