A&H

Post Match Incident

Harey

Hi,

After some advice. Had a U16 game this afternoon, a little competitive, but all well mannered. There was nothing to note, and did not even have to get my cards out.

However I blow the final whistle, and was walking back to the touch line shaking hands with the players, and there a fracas behind me. Turn around to see a home team player complaining an away team player won’t shake his hand, so (apperantly) he decided to give him a shove. At this point the away team assistant manager is with them as the nearest person, having been the club linesman. I hear him say to the player to just leave it, if he doesn’t want to shake his hand. Then a argument breaks out (I turn and start heading towards them to calm it down) and the fact he can’t (assistant manager) speak to him like that as he’s 16. Assistant Manager wants to report him. Then everyone dashes over and I’ve got to keep the two teams separated.

I was planning on adding to my match report. Any advice?

Cheers
Chris

The Referee Store
Sorry, new to all this. Even if the away team assistant manager is threatening to report, I still don’t highlight anything in my match report?

I think there was some "come on then, if you want to have it out" sort of backwards and forwards.

As a general rule of thumb, you only report those after match incidents that had they happened during the match, you would have sent someone off or dismissed someone. This wasn't the case in your game.

So you have an adult arguing with a minor, what do you think is the best course of action to prevent it happening again?
You make it sound like you only saw an argument, the rest appears to be hearsay. Nothing to report regards misconduct but at the very least I'd be reporting to the league's welfare officer.
An adult should never enter into an argument with a child (a child is anyone under 18). This is a child safeguarding issue.

TBH you have 2 facts in your statement

a) After you have blown the whistle to end the game

and

b) see a home team player complaining.

Everything else is "heard", "Sounds Like" and "Apparently", which has no standing or grounding.

Yup it happens, their problem not yours. If someone reports something and you are asked for your input, stick to your facts which, unless you have missed anything out, is the above. After the game, I saw a player complaining ......

I'm very confused.
Did the manager push a player? Was the player 16?
Did you see any of the pushing?
99% of the time when a team says they'll report something, they don't.

I am sorry for the confusion.

I am a new referee that just wanted use this valuable forum to ask if I should report a post match incident, as the assistant manager said he would.

The reason for hopefully asking some experienced referees on this forum, is I didn’t want to be asked by my local FA either why I did or didn’t report.

I took the initial feedback, that it was post match, and didn’t report; but wrote some notes if ever contacted.

Keep walking.... get them lah, lah, lah ears on. Handshakes aren't mandatory, its a modern nice thing to do but it can bring out petulance in some people... Move on, not your issue... next...

It does however highlight something that's been posted before, do not drop your guard just cos you blow the full time whistle

Its a critical flash point time, akin to the scoring of a goal, you need to keep as much in view as you can, possibly home in on the troublesome characters and keep your wits about you

Not everyone wants to shake the hand of the guy who has kicked you for 90 mins or dived to win the pen or even ran rings round you all day

at kids, if you know they are going to converge to the half way at the whistle, maybe give thought to blowing for time round about there, so you are also there, and your not looking at players steaming in from all 4 corners..... nothing is fool proof though but in short, in no way get fooled into thinking the whistle means game over for the ref....you can relax when your safely back in the referee room.

oh just to make things even tastier, beware parents jumping on to have their say also..

so, if the worst you ever see, or think you see, is Harry rebuking Ryans handshake offer, you will be doing well.

Back