A&H

Post Match Incident

@Harey some posts don't come across in the right tone, especially for new referees but everyone here means well. Sometimes we, the experienced ones, forget we were new too, had a lot to learn, especially about uncommon and undocumented situations.

@Ciley Myrus, I get your point and agree to it to some extent. The flip side is, we are 'hired' to facilitate a game according to LOTG. This is not the same as being a security guard or a baby sitter (sometimes for managers and parents). Some games you know once you blow the FT whistle, you are out of there and unless there is anything in your immediate vicinity, leave it to teams and club officials to sort out. Don't create any headache for yourself or put yourself in an unsafe situation.

The Referee Store
Thanks. Wasn’t trying to be too eager, just didn’t know if to highlight in a match report given the away assistant manager was going to report and it involved a U16. Based on the earlier advice I didn’t report.
it gets easier with experience honest, and dont worry about managers or coaches, you have come to the right place there are plenty of expirienced referees on here we are happy to help, and remember the only silly questions are the ones you dont ask

it gets easier with experience honest, and dont worry about managers or coaches, you have come to the right place there are plenty of expirienced referees on here we are happy to help, and remember the only silly questions are the ones you dont ask
Well said Sir....

Referee today at Bramall Lane was one of the worst I've seen in a while, no issue with the goals or the result, the best team won, but his foul recognition both ways was atrocious and he left both sets of fans baffled with some weird calls. He missed two stonewall yellow cards (one for each side) then cards for one of the best tackles i've seen in many a long year. We've had some decent refs this year, this lad wasn't one of them!!!

It does however highlight something that's been posted before, do not drop your guard just cos you blow the full time whistle

Its a critical flash point time, akin to the scoring of a goal, you need to keep as much in view as you can, possibly home in on the troublesome characters and keep your wits about you

Not everyone wants to shake the hand of the guy who has kicked you for 90 mins or dived to win the pen or even ran rings round you all day

at kids, if you know they are going to converge to the half way at the whistle, maybe give thought to blowing for time round about there, so you are also there, and your not looking at players steaming in from all 4 corners..... nothing is fool proof though but in short, in no way get fooled into thinking the whistle means game over for the ref....you can relax when your safely back in the referee room.

oh just to make things even tastier, beware parents jumping on to have their say also..

so, if the worst you ever see, or think you see, is Harry rebuking Ryans handshake offer, you will be doing well.
I'm with you on that one. If there's been flash points and I'm concerned there may be blow-up after the game, I'd rather keep an eye on things. Because if something starts then I absolutely want to be able to sanction players as required.

If it's more that the trouble is likely to be directed at myself, I'd probably prefer to get out of there as the longer I stand there, the greater chance of inviting player abuse so getting out of there avoids the situation and abuse.

It depends though. If you have NAR's you need to stand on the field and wait for your AR's to reach you then shake hands before you start moving off anyway. Absolutely hate it when refs start walking immediately and want me to run after them and catch up halfway to the changeroom.

I'm with you on that one. If there's been flash points and I'm concerned there may be blow-up after the game, I'd rather keep an eye on things. Because if something starts then I absolutely want to be able to sanction players as required.

If it's more that the trouble is likely to be directed at myself, I'd probably prefer to get out of there as the longer I stand there, the greater chance of inviting player abuse so getting out of there avoids the situation and abuse.

It depends though. If you have NAR's you need to stand on the field and wait for your AR's to reach you then shake hands before you start moving off anyway. Absolutely hate it when refs start walking immediately and want me to run after them and catch up halfway to the changeroom.

Any NAR who tries to shake my hand at the final whistle will lose their hand!!

My personal gripe aside, with NARs, the ht/ft designation of ARs should be covered in the brief, subject to change of course.

Back