A&H

Pro’s communication

The Referee Store
Always wish we had more of it. Find it so so interesting. Curious how they refer to players by their first name.
I feel like if this got shown on MOTD, there would be a lot more respect given to referees in pretty much all levels from youth and up

One of my best ref friends is at the elite level in Sweden its really fun to listen to there communication.

Who is it that is calling “DOGSO. DOGSO” in yellow text? The assistant? Were they calling that in anticipation, to initiate the thought process?

Fascinating viewing/listening

Last edited:
The word "genuine" was taken out for DOGSO for good reasons but it is still used in conversation. I think referees should avoid using it for simplicity.
When you say he attempted to play the ball it implies you have judged the intention and it can't be non genuine. Had it not been genuine (fake), then it could not be considered an attempt to play the ball.

I've noticed the fans love this type of stuff. Could be a good outlet for various ref organizations to show the job of refs in a more positive light.
The fans and players need educating, a lot of the time they simply do not know or understand the laws. A segment on offside on MOTD for instance, explained by select group officials would do the world of good, and how difficult would that be? Might cut down the amount of players that scream for a flag when an attacker hasn't interfered...

I've noticed the fans love this type of stuff. Could be a good outlet for various ref organizations to show the job of refs in a more positive light.
Although I may be wrong, I suspect the referee's spoken word would only be used against them by the media and public

Although there are implications, as big cat said, this will be great education for younger players as well and would definitely make players respect the ref’s decisions more. Players seem to think every decision is straight forward and has little thought process behind it.

Although there are implications, as big cat said, this will be great education for younger players as well and would definitely make players respect the ref’s decisions more. Players seem to think every decision is straight forward and has little thought process behind it.
It would be good if the PGMOL (or whoever) released more of this material for training & understanding, but the officials would need protecting from additional spotlight and negative scrutiny

PRO (the US/Canada version of PGMOL) has been releasing more and more audio clips from MLS in their week in review on their site for pro and pro-track ARs. The most recent had two (with the second one starting with some fruity language :) )

https://www.proassistantreferees.com/week-in-review/2018/5/12/mls-week-24-august-11-12
Interesting first scenario. Without referring to the book, I may have flagged for offside because the player attempted to play the ball. However, as this did not affect an opponent and was not an attempt to play the ball when challenging an opponent, I've learned that this was not offside
I thought I was clear on the offside Law, but these clips are the best way of correcting any misunderstanding

Reactions: JH
Back