A&H

Question!!

Zimmyman

Silly one ! But when would the referee count the players before kick off is it before they are in there own half of the field or while they are all in there own half ready for ko I would say the latter???

The Referee Store
Yep, last thing I do before checking GK's and AR's are ready, starting watches and kicking off. After coin toss etc.

Last edited:
What would happen if you failed to count the players before KO and subsequently noticed after, say; 10 minutes, that one team had been playing with an extra player since KO? Assume the score is 0-0 and the ball is in play

Book the extra player at a natural stoppage if there is no interference or stop play if there is and ask them to leave the field in both instances. Restart with a direct free kick if it was an interference with play. May need to send off if interference was say DOGSO...

Book the extra player at a natural stoppage if there is no interference or stop play if there is and ask them to leave the field in both instances. Restart with a direct free kick if it was an interference with play. May need to send off if interference was say DOGSO...
Strange that the book doesn't address this specific scenario as I'd bet it's quite common with The Dog&Duck
At some point, the opposition must have grounds to really kick up a fuss (with the league or whatever)
This would be a fairly horrendous oversight by the referee, but I bet it's happened many times

The only solution would be to count players in play but that would mean more probable and important incidents would be missed. 4 Official should pick up on it if managing the line correctly but not a luxury most of us have.

Don't forget to do it again at halftime. All the match officials should do the count.
And with lower grades in particular who are more likely to walk on and off whenever they want, sometimes I'll recheck after a goal.

Back