A&H

Rafa

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
So Rafa wasn't happy last night that the equalising goal was scored 30 seconds after the the 'minimum amount of time to be added on by the referee'.

Firstly, he made a substitution during added on time and secondly, the referee is in charge of time keeping. What I think he was eluding to (without making a direct accusation) is that referees generally allow the attack to finish before blowing the whistle to end the match. He would have a valid point there as we don't have a stop clock (I've no idea why it's not been trailed to be honest) so the referee will always avoid blowing for full time whilst the ball is in the penalty area etc, as that is what football expects.

All this leads to the wider issue of time keeping in the professional game. I'd be amazed if there was more than 55 minutes of actual 'ball in play' time last night. There have been matches, usually involving Burnley, where there's been less than 50 minutes of football played. Time wasting is rife in the game as is faking injury etc.

Why has there not been a trial of a stop clock (apologies for my ignorance if there has). All these issues, including last night's, would be eradicated.

The Referee Store
I’m sure I remember reading somewhere that they considered it but deemed it too difficult in terms of stopping the stadium clock and synching it with the ref etc

I was more concerned about Rafa's comment about protecting goalkeepers. This really infuriates me. Goalkeepers have the added advantage of being able to handle the ball in their own area. Countless times I've seen a keeper come for a cross and plough through anyone who is in their way and if they don't claim the ball claim they were impeded!!

Rafa was just a bit miffed that his team had thrown 2 points away with seconds to go. He even alluded to the fact that "the GK has to be stronger" during his post match interview. I agree with him.
Dubravka has cost Toon 5 points in his last two games.
As an aside, I had a sneaking feeling that the cross for Wolves goal may have swerved out of play before coming back in but nobody else seemed to question it (?)

I was more concerned about Rafa's comment about protecting goalkeepers. This really infuriates me. Goalkeepers have the added advantage of being able to handle the ball in their own area. Countless times I've seen a keeper come for a cross and plough through anyone who is in their way and if they don't claim the ball claim they were impeded!!

Agreed. That's the interpretation in Spain and many other countries though, complete protection. It's wrong though imo and there is too much protection. On the other hand, keepers will often come for crosses or high through balls and jump to catch the ball with their foot at waist/neck high to protect themselves from the collision. If the attacker did this it would be dangerous play, potential SFP.

I don't think we should go back to the days where the keeper could take out anybody as long as he got his hands on the ball but I do believe that competing for the ball with the keeper should be allowed same as 2 outfield players competing for a header

Arguably, Dubravka had two hands across his shoulders with one of them brushing his face, so there's enough to claim it was a foul. I doubt I'd have given it in real time because the keeper's arms were unimpeded and we're all agreed that he should have punched the ball (which was a tall order to catch). Benitez is used to football played at a level at which these infringements are more likely to be given; and a level at which eleven players would have appealed with animation and in unison
Another solid performance by Newcastle however, Longstaff is flying and only the GK is off colour
Dubravka has cost Toon 5 points in his last two games
Dubravka has cost Toon THREE points in his last two games!

Dubravka has cost Toon THREE points in his last two games!

Assuming we'd have drawn at Spurs that is (?)

Fact is, his butter fingers let the shot go under him at Spurs resulting in 3 points for them and none for us.

I'm a glass-is-half-empty man when it comes to Toon these days. ;)

I'd also argue the point with regard to Longstaff.

He's acquitted himself well in the absence of Diame and Shelvey but certainly done no more than either of those two would have.

Gave the ball away on more than one occasion last night and practically every other pass was 20 yards backwards or square. Hardly "flying". :cool:

I’m sure I remember reading somewhere that they considered it but deemed it too difficult in terms of stopping the stadium clock and synching it with the ref etc
If we can use technology to call a ball crossing over a line and sync that to a vibrating watch almost instantly, they can sync a clock.

Assuming we'd have drawn at Spurs that is (?)

Fact is, his butter fingers let the shot go under him at Spurs resulting in 3 points for them and none for us.

I'm a glass-is-half-empty man when it comes to Toon these days. ;)

I'd also argue the point with regard to Longstaff.

He's acquitted himself well in the absence of Diame and Shelvey but certainly done no more than either of those two would have.

Gave the ball away on more than one occasion last night and practically every other pass was 20 yards backwards or square. Hardly "flying". :cool:
So the difference between 0-0 and 1-0 at Spurs is one point and last night's mistake dropped two points, hence three in total

Shelvey's forward passing range is probably unrivalled in the league, but he offers very little defensively. Diame merely breaks play up. With both unavailable in addition to Ki, this left us with a serious hole in midfield. At 21 and fresh out of the academy, Longstaff has done very well to steer us through this tough period. He's obviously not the finished product, but he's protected the defence (like Diame), whilst showing the same composure as Ki. Without him during a tough run of fixtures (7 points from 12), we'd have been down there with Fulham

So the difference between 0-0 and 1-0 at Spurs is one point and last night's mistake dropped two points, hence three in total

Shelvey's forward passing range is probably unrivalled in the league, but he offers very little defensively. Diame merely breaks play up. With both unavailable in addition to Ki, this left us with a serious hole in midfield. At 21 and fresh out of the academy, Longstaff has done very well to steer us through this tough period. He's obviously not the finished product, but he's protected the defence (like Diame), whilst showing the same composure as Ki. Without him during a tough run of fixtures (7 points from 12), we'd have been down there with Fulham

Never doubted his contribution. I just fail to see what the raving about him is for. 21 he might be, but he's still a pro footballer earning more than the likes of thee and me. He came in and did his job is all. He's hardly surrounded by superstars up there is he?
For what it's worth, Ki doesn't convince me either but you seem to think he's mustard (?)
Horses for courses I suppose.

I still think Rafa will go before next season starts and I can't say I'll blame him.

He came in and did his job is all
Hmm... think you're underrating him a bit there. Maybe just my kind of player, tall, athletic, fairly strong, some composure etc
For what it's worth, Ki doesn't convince me either but you seem to think he's mustard
Not mustard, just good value for money. I've always like him. He was highly rated at Sunderland
I still think Rafa will go before next season starts and I can't say I'll blame him
Agreed. Brendan Rogers got a mention this week. The future is bleak :(

If we can use technology to call a ball crossing over a line and sync that to a vibrating watch almost instantly, they can sync a clock.

The other option would be to take time keeping away from the ref at the top level. The clock could be controlled by someone else who is in communication with the ref like in rugby.

Shelvey does have a very good passing range and I like him as an attacking midfielder. However I'm not sure KDB and Pogba would agree that it's unrivalled in the league!!

Shelvey does have a very good passing range and I like him as an attacking midfielder. However I'm not sure KDB and Pogba would agree that it's unrivalled in the league!!
Not sure KDB or Pogba are comparable with Shelvey. The former are flexible multi-talented better all-round players, whereas Shelvey only excels in one respect (forward passing, usually from deep)

Reactions: Kes
Shelvey's unique in as much as he's practically the only English midfielder with that ability in the Prem. In my opinion anyway. ;)

Shelvey's unique in as much as he's practically the only English midfielder with that ability in the Prem. In my opinion anyway. ;)
I think Southgate and Benitez have reservations about his overall discipline however

I think Southgate and Benitez have reservations about his overall discipline however

For sure. The guy can be a complete liability in that sense.

Such a shame as well. England could build their team around him were he less of a hothead and perhaps a little bit more consistent.

I always rated Shelvey and was gutted when he left Liverpool without really fulfilling his potential. Can be excellent but not consistent and has a slight issue to lose it and get sent off.

Back