A&H

red for verbal distraction

micky2001

I was watching a game and with the score 1-1 with 5 or so minutes to go. Green striker is one on one with keeper with an OGSO. However, as he is about to shoot, blue defender shouts, in my opinion causing him to scuff his shot wide. Ref gives IDFK and yellow.

1)could a penalty have been given (attacker was in box)
2)could a ref for DOGSO have been given

The Referee Store
No penalty. Distraction is not a penal offence so IDFK is correct.

Now with the red it's debatable. Technically, the LOTG say a red can be given for DOGSO for any offence resulting in a DFK or IDFK. However, the law book itself gives us pretty straight instruction that distraction is a caution and IDFK. I'm not too sure but I'd find it bloody hard to send someone off for it.

From everything I've come across instruction-wise on OGSO, an IFK offence that results in a sending off for DOGSO can only be playing in a dangerous manner where the player puts the opponent in danger as they're about to score a goal.

Oooo - this was discussed on here fairly recently.

in front of goal and you get distracted by an opponent shouting? What a lame excuse for shanking the shot into the crowd. :)

I have to agree with the yellow and IDFK to be honest.

It is unsporting rather than anything else, as SM so elequently points out the shot is still the strikers to fluff.....as he duly obliged.

Back