A&H

Ref: Stories from the weekend

The Referee Store
I didn't think it painted the ex-pro (cannot recall his name) in a particularly good light. It always seemed to show him moaning because, as he was an ex-pro he should, by right be fast tracked to the top and refereeing top flight football without having to start where we all do and work our way up.

It is a shame he has chosen to stop officiating though, more ex-players taking up the whistle is surely a good thing and perhaps he should have looked at working with the FA to develop a CORE like academy for ex-players much like the CFA's do with younger officials (queue someone telling me there probably already is one of these in place).

Although maybe edited to look worse. It looked to me like he was getting A LOT of abuse from players and fans. The old pro won't want to use the cards cos he's still "one of the lads". The players, smell blood and are on his back for a full 90 minutes.
Refereeing this way is not fun and I would quit too if I was unable to deal with dissent

Why buy a special coin when you forget to put it under your watch and leave it a breast pocket and feel it fly out on a dynamic sprint!

Although maybe edited to look worse. It looked to me like he was getting A LOT of abuse from players and fans. The old pro won't want to use the cards cos he's still "one of the lads". The players, smell blood and are on his back for a full 90 minutes.
Refereeing this way is not fun and I would quit too if I was unable to deal with dissent

It was Jason Jarrett - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Jarrett_(footballer) - fair to say he can be called a journeyman.

Whilst I'm a big fan of communicating with players, he was taking it too far, and I think he'd forgotten he wasn't a player any more. He was also positioning himself as if he was a player, rather than where he should be as a referee. I got the impression he had the hump that he had to follow the normal refereeing promotion route, and that's why he quit.

Refereeing is a skill, and it takes time to perfect that skill. I came from a playing background and I was truly clueless in my first few games, equally I've watched a referee in his first game who had never kicked a ball in anger as a player and he was excellent. Just as there is no guarantee that an ex player will make a great coach or manager, then there is probably even less guarantee that they will make a great referee.

Back