A&H

Referee in a bib

colindotcom

Watched my local side (reds) V away team (black and white, Newcastle style) at a half decent amateur standard. The referee was wearing a blue bib, because he clashed with the away team.
What do you guys do when faced with a kit clash?

The Referee Store
Every assesor, mentor and referee coach I have ever met, has always stressed that under no circumstances should the referee be forced to change kit. The only time we do is the Football League and above. We even got told that when I took my course.
Most, if not all, leagues below the FL require teams to get their kit cleared by the league.

Referees are not there to suit the players and teams, we are there to enforce the laws and do a job.

I have checked that with a mate of mine who is an assessor and he said the ref musn't change

My match a fortnight ago - 1 team (away) in yellow and black stripes and black back - can't wear my yellow or my black kit. Home team wearing red and black stripes, firsts away with the alternative kit - can't wear my red one either. Ended up wearing my blue track top. Should I have gone home? I think a key point you make is referee shouldn't be forced to change - absolutely right, but common wit and all that.

So if there's no alternative other than to wear a bib/training jacket what would you do?
I have always been told not to play until the kit is sorted. If the kit can not be corrected, postpone and report it to County.
I agree that we should use common sense. When I had a similar situation, no one wore bibs. I was a good couple of feet taller than the players so I was distinguishable from the U12 players

It is amazing how often another kit suddenly appears when you highlight that the one they have cannot be worn. :)

It won't be the first time they have been picked up on it. But they may as well try it on with the ref every week though, might get a ref who is happy to wear a bib ;)

I thought this couldn't happen in England and Wales - from reading posts I was under the impression refs could only wear black and that teams couldn't wear black or very dark.
Different here and so a clash is occasionally unavoidable.

My match a fortnight ago - 1 team (away) in yellow and black stripes and black back - can't wear my yellow or my black kit. Home team wearing red and black stripes, firsts away with the alternative kit - can't wear my red one either. Ended up wearing my blue track top. Should I have gone home? I think a key point you make is referee shouldn't be forced to change - absolutely right, but common wit and all that.
In England referees not working in the professional game don't have the option of a different colour kit. They wear black or they wear black.

So if there's no alternative other than to wear a bib/training jacket what would you do?
Threaten not to play and ensure the blame is strongly apportioned to the offending team. A compliant kit soon appears. Alternative is to play the game, tell the players it's not your fault when they pass to you and report it after the match.

Threaten not to play and ensure the blame is strongly apportioned to the offending team. A compliant kit soon appears. Alternative is to play the game, tell the players it's not your fault when they pass to you and report it after the match.

I had this earlier in the season.

Away Team turned up in a 80% black kit with a stripe of pink. (And yes, it was as bad as it sounds). Home team in all blue.

I queried it and the manager said theatre had cleared it. As my kit bag was to hand with the league handbook in it I did - and sure enough they were listed as the correct colours.

They suggested I wear a bib at the start and I said no way.

Towards the end of the first half a bit of morning insured about a mix up with somebody mistaking me for a team mate.

At half time a couple of players suggested the bib again, still no way.

Early second half after a pass to my feet centre back shouts across the pitch at me (I f'in told you to put a bib on).

As I gave him his caution I loudly reminded him they knew I would be turning up in black months before they even thought about buying that kit, so perhaps they should be looking at themselves first.

Didn't have any other problems and reported it to the league. Although typically for this league they decided to do naff all.

My take is this: Follow the rules, make it difficult and they will be forced to address the problem completely. Wear the bib and become last weeks' ref. ('But last weeks' ref just put a bib on')

I had this earlier in the season.

Away Team turned up in a 80% black kit with a stripe of pink. (And yes, it was as bad as it sounds). Home team in all blue.

I queried it and the manager said theatre had cleared it. As my kit bag was to hand with the league handbook in it I did - and sure enough they were listed as the correct colours.

They suggested I wear a bib at the start and I said no way.

Towards the end of the first half a bit of morning insured about a mix up with somebody mistaking me for a team mate.

At half time a couple of players suggested the bib again, still no way.

Early second half after a pass to my feet centre back shouts across the pitch at me (I f'in told you to put a bib on).

As I gave him his caution I loudly reminded him they knew I would be turning up in black months before they even thought about buying that kit, so perhaps they should be looking at themselves first.

Didn't have any other problems and reported it to the league. Although typically for this league they decided to do naff all.

My take is this: Follow the rules, make it difficult and they will be forced to address the problem completely. Wear the bib and become last weeks' ref. ('But last weeks' ref just put a bib on')
Our league are re-examining a "dark blue with yellow panel" kit at the next meeting. if it's the same kit as used 3 seasons ago when I reported it, I'm not surprised a colleague had an issue with it.

For me personally, the team wearing black should change or wear bibs, if this is not possible the game will not go ahead and in goes my report.
Just for extra measure the league i ref in states NO team must wear black.
Surely the manager knows refs wear black and has ample time(a week i assume) to sort out kit colours or bibs...There can be no excuse.

For me personally, the team wearing black should change or wear bibs, if this is not possible the game will not go ahead and in goes my report.
Just for extra measure the league i ref in states NO team must wear black.
Surely the manager knows refs wear black and has ample time(a week i assume) to sort out kit colours or bibs...There can be no excuse.
Usually since around mid-June (submission date for most league handbooks) to sort it out!

Back