A&H

Referee Inactive - All around the world ...

I'm blogging while quietly recovering from the local RA Annual Presentation Dinner last night before setting off for my Sunday League Trophy Quarter Final just up the road. It was an excellent night with some brilliant food and great company. The night was, as is always the case with gatherings of referees, full of stories and reminiscing as we reminded those who have progressed to the professional game (and those of us who still work at Grass Roots) of some of the highlights, low lights and downright hilarious incidents we've experienced together.

Tribal rivalries surfaced from time to time as fans of professional teams exchanged views (politely and with much leg pulling) on various games over the years. I talked about my following Leeds United around England and my decision to chance a trip to the Champions league Final when Leeds got to the semi finals in 2001. As things turned out, Leeds were knocked out by an efficient Valencia team who in turn lost to Bayern Munich in the final (which I still went to and thoroughly enjoyed).

That was the extent of my globe trotting in support of Leeds United but now looking back I have to question the rationale of buying a ticket, booking a hotel and flight to Italy, for a game we weren't even guaranteed to be playing in. A similar thought about the lengths people will travel to watch football had crossed my mind earlier in the day at my Supply League Assessment game. It was at the oldest football ground in the world, Sandygate, home of Hallam FC. The reception from the club was, just as in my previous visit, very welcoming. The strong coffee before kick off and at half time was just the thing needed on a chilly day.

The club had hoped for a decent crowd because of the impending Steel City Derby between Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United being played on the following day (today). I don't know how the figures measured up to their usual attendance but the main stand was fairly full with the make up of the crowd varied and it was fairly evident that some of them were making their first visit to Sandygate. They had come from far and wide as a number of visitors were given a brief tour and licence to roam the ground before kick off. I think they were probably part of that dedicated group of spectators known as "ground-hoppers" who visit as many grounds as possible each season.

One of a pair sitting just in front of me was introduced to the crowd before the game, having travelled from Aberdeen! The two sitting behind me spent the whole of the first half commenting on the game in a language I didn't recognise but it was definitely Scandinavian in origin. Then there was me, from 30 miles up the M1 ... what a merry band we were. Despite the cold weather we were treated to a competitive game, with 6 goals (but a 4-2 defeat for Hallam) and perhaps some of those slightly more local first timers might be tempted to make a return if that is the usual fare on offer. Right, where are my flags ...
1430959096615306100-6571331659581537656

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back