A&H

Referee Inactive - Brrrr but back to the action

A 50 mile trip saw me arrive slightly after the referee but before both assistants at today's Supply League game, my first "active" trip to a football game since December 5. In the shelter of the wall alongside where the home supporters were standing, it felt fine, but on stepping out into the biting wind, it didn't take long for my feet to freeze.

I say "active" as I enjoyed a trip to a South Midlands League game with my friend and colleague, Slim from my National Course for FA Referee Tutors from back in July 2009. It was nice to watch a game of football without having to write up a report afterwards. I did sit with the assessor and it was reassuring to note that he was picking up the same things I note in my games.

The game today was relatively straightforward so the report will be written up and away by Tuesday. Today was unusual in that one of the assistants strained his calf in the warm up and had to be replaced. It was interesting that the replacement took a little while to "mentally" warm to the pace but gave a creditable performance overall.

Tomorrow I was supposed to be at a game in the morning but the local council have closed all their fields after the heavy rain of the last two weeks, so only a handful of games have survived. This is the 4th week in succession that only a handful of games will have been played. It confirms that the Sunday League's decision to reduce the number of teams in each division to 10 from 12-14 was a wise one.

My next football is to watch Arsenal vs Leeds in the 3rd Round of The FA Cup. The game is being broadcast on ESPN which isn't part of my usual Sky TV package but they have a timely offer for 2 months for free, so I signed up. I'll be cancelling before the free period ends though as I currently struggle to justify Sky Sports because I am usually out at games, courses or meetings
1430959096615306100-4238764211873576974

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back