A&H

Referee Inactive - Done and done

This time last week I fulfilled my appointment as 4th official for the local Sunday League Cup Final. It was a busy night as I brought the referee's attention to a caution, missed getting his attention to dismiss a player, saw a game which involved 12 penalties (11 scored), no goals from open play and the best celebration I have ever seen. The game included another dismissal which the referee dealt with and as often happens the team reduced to ten men held out to win the trophy.

Sunday saw me watching the team defeated last Thursday take out their frustration in another cup final and win that one comfortably 8-2. On Tuesday, the 'phone rang a little after half six and the captain of one of our Premier Division teams told me their referee hadn't turned up, the Ref Appts Sec was on holiday in Ibiza and he didn't know what to do.

Well it's been a while since I refereed a Premier Division game, but I lasted through both halves of 40 minutes, saw the home team win comfortably and had to deal with a player with a nose that managed to bleed all down his shirt and on to his shorts. He wasn't impressed at being held up in returning to the game and even less impressed when I insisted he change his kit!

So my action on the green bit really is over but the planning is just starting with the constitution for the new season for the Sunday League having been drafted and it will soon be time to consider arranging the first month's fixtures, including the opening round of the cup competitions.

The wheel keeps turning, so we're never really done and done ...
1430959096615306100-4247590473927913401

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back