A&H

Referee Inactive - The patient escapes ... well almost

The doctor who came to see me five hours after he originally planned to, explained that my review had been overlooked as the senior ? from day one had been with patients all day, primarily in the operating theatre.

I could understand that as a fat bald ex-referee with a red/green elbow being treated by antibiotics by IV was definitely low level priority to what I regarded as people who were properly ill or injured, so hadn't minded too much, except for the extended fast in the morning. I'd managed to contact JDB and he had dropped in to collect the exam papers, Offside DVD and name badges needed for the second part of the new referees course on Sunday, so that had taken away one headache.

The doctor was happy that I was making good progress and he said I was likely to go home sooner rather than later with my IV replaced by oral antibiotics. So I was asked to pack up my things around 10pm (after visiting from my wife and son again) and moved to a single bed room on another Gate ... sorry Ward.

I slept as well as I could, despite the freezing temperatures. Two local councils have already closed their fields because of the heavy rain this week and I've had a couple of referees contact me for advice on postponing games. Not that I've seen any of the rain, trapped in my hospital bed ... just kidding I could see it was horizontal on Thursday, in between snow showers!!!

So now I'm awaiting confirmation of my discharge from hospital. I'm taking it as a good sign that my cannula hasn't been replaced. When my first IV went in this morning, my arm felt sore, although the cold flow of IV was reassuringly familiar. What hadn't happened before was the IV leaking out around the point of insertion soaking the bandage holding the cannula in place.

It seems that the "needle", which is made of plastic, had become dislodged from the vein and the fluid was flowing into my arm but dribbling out again around the point of insertion - oops! This was my third cannula in three days. The first fell out in the shower when I got showered on day two. The second fell out later the same day when I left my arm to rest on the window sill.

This third one had been loose anyway as I had knocked it in the shower on day three and had been obliged to sluice the blood that flowed out of the hole, down the plughole and rinse my bandage. It was like being in a Jigsaw movie! Now I'm waiting for my lunch - third turkey sandwich in three days - well it is nearly Christmas, to be followed by lemon sponge and custard - yum!

The escape committee is expected to reconvene within the next 3 hours and I can make my final bid for freedom

P.S. Disaster - no turkey sandwiches, so had to make do with cheese and chive instead
1430959096615306100-5073029365428724649

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back