A&H

Refereeing career over for now :(

Spireross

Hi all,

It's with great regret I've had to finish refereeing for now, however i no longer feel safe off the pitch.

Just this evening i was grabbed from behind while someone shouted abuse at me for being that 's**t referee.' Whilst i didn't see who it was i don't think it's fair that i be abused while walking home from work.

As much as I'll miss it, anything could have happened to myself. I will still follow the forums and hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable season/career. :(

The Referee Store
Sorry to hear this. Stay safe and hope to see you reffing again soon. Not fair that people act like referees don't have feelings. Good luck for the future!

sorry to hear about this mate. I hope your feeling ok. We hear at RefChat are all hear to help. We are all one big referee family.

Pathetic that! There are some absolute morons out there.

Make sure that you let your FA know what has happened. They will need to record it and may take action; they may contact the clubs within the leagues and tell them that there has been an incident.

Pathetic that! There are some absolute morons out there.

Make sure that you let your FA know what has happened. They will need to record it and may take action; they may contact the clubs within the leagues and tell them that there has been an incident.
I'd definitely recommend reporting to your CFA, so it will stop this happening to you again and other referees in the future. Let us know if you need help RefChat is here for you.

That's disgraceful. Totally unacceptable behaviour from the idiots who don't get that even if you don't like refs, without us they don't have a game.
As SM says please think about reporting it. Someone may have seen something, but that's a decision only you can make.
I'm sure the leagues you do will put something on their websites in the hope that the pond life responsible realise how stupid they've been. Unfortunately that's probably too much to expect. Hopefully you will feel better about things in time. Look after yourself.

Shocking!

As others have said, this incident needs to be reported to both the FA and police.

The cretin responsible would probably be the first to complain if their match was called off due to no referee being available to take charge of the game.

:mad:

All I would say is possibly take a week or two off and then get back to it. Don't let the idiots stop you doing something that I assume you enjoy.
Report it to your CFA and ask your CDO for some assistance and support. You could possibly change leagues for a fresh start.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you all. The police have been out to me but the area it happened had no CCTV coverage so unless anyone comes forward to say they saw it's unlikely anything will happen. The league responded quickly and has called an emergency team secretary meeting about it, so hopefully this helps keep other referees safe. I'll be back at some point, but for now i have to think of my own and my families safety (We live in a very rough area)

Thank you all. The police have been out to me but the area it happened had no CCTV coverage so unless anyone comes forward to say they saw it's unlikely anything will happen. The league responded quickly and has called an emergency team secretary meeting about it, so hopefully this helps keep other referees safe. I'll be back at some point, but for now i have to think of my own and my families safety (We live in a very rough area)
Best of luck mate. Hope the person admits they are wrong. All the best.

scum ... pure scum bags 'that's the **** referee' - really? reeaallllyyy?? that's what its come too ... I mean, ive had people have a bit of 'banter' when they have recognised me in the street/pubs etc but nothing aggressive!!

feel for you mate, must have scared you a tad too, walking home alone! could have done anything!! hope you're ok and pick up the whistle soon again

all the best

scum ... pure scum bags 'that's the **** referee' - really? reeaallllyyy?? that's what its come too ... I mean, ive had people have a bit of 'banter' when they have recognised me in the street/pubs etc but nothing aggressive!!

feel for you mate, must have scared you a tad too, walking home alone! could have done anything!! hope you're ok and pick up the whistle soon again

all the best
Worst thing is I've had the local team a few times this season and never once had an issue with them, I didn't even recognize the voice as someone from that team so it must have been someone from a different team (we only have 1 team in the village where i live) or a supporter

Back